Advion announced a new award for undergraduate students, masters and PhD candidates, and post-doctoral research associates, who demonstrate scientific excellence within the field of mass spectrometry.
The award was named after Advion’s Scientific co-founder, Jack Henion, Professor Emeritus, Cornell University, given his own passion for the field as well as his strong ties with academia and dedicated support of research excellence.Following the announcement, Advion received feedback that has led to a significant expansion of the award. Full terms and conditions, along with the application, will be posted on Advion’s website on Sunday, May 20th.
Key features of the Jack Henion Mass Spectrometry Award include:
- Applicants can be from any country and organization
- The body of research can be generated using any Ion source technology.
- The application period has been extended until March 31, 2013
- There will be three (3) finalists who will be announced at the Advion ASMS 2013 users’ meeting
- The selection committee will be chaired by Dr. Henion and include independent mass spectrometry experts representing a broad background
- The financial award for the selected first place winner will be $5,000. The two runners-up will be recognized as Henion Award Winner Finalists.
Given the response to the prior announcement, Dr. Henion commented, “I have always endeavored to attract, support and motivate the brightest and most innovative scientists to carry out applied analytical research in search of truly useful new technologies that can make a difference in the future. The purpose of this award is to motivate today’s scientists to strive for the discovery and development of the next new mass spectrometry-based analytical technology which may become as widely applicable as ion spray LC/MS became once it evolved from my Cornell laboratory. We at Advion strongly encourage and support innovation and the search for excellence in analytical technologies. We have conceived this award to honor and recognize those who truly excel in such endeavors.”
Advion strives to push the envelope of scientific innovation with its technology, and to challenge the status quo - offering this award is to encourage others to do the same.