Fused silica is a popular choice of melting vessel material due to excellent thermal and chemical stability, allowing vessels to be used with a wide range of materials that may be subject to rapid temperature changes during processing.
However, some manufacturing methods can lead to inconsistent vessels, which risk a much-reduced lifetime, or even failure, during the melting process.
To overcome these shortcomings, high-purity fused silica melting vessels from Goodfellow are moulded, producing optimal characteristics for demanding melting applications.
- Specific features of high-purity moulded fused silica melting vessels include:
- Seamless one-piece construction of fully dense material
- Uniform microstructure with isotropic properties
- Nonporous, unreactive internal surface for easy removal of melted material
- High-purity fused silica to minimize the possibility of product contamination
- Long lifetime of the melting vessel.
Goodfellow offers high-purity moulded fused silica melting vessels in a wide range of sizes, capacities and shapes – including square, cylindrical and rectangular. Custom sizes can also be produced, with current maximum sizes having an outer diameter of 635mm and a height of 400mm.
Goodfellow is a leading supplier of metals, polymers, ceramics and other materials to meet the needs of science and industry worldwide. Standard products can be found online at the comprehensive Goodfellow Catalogue (www.goodfellow.com).
The Goodfellow Ceramic and Glass Division (www.goodfellow-ceramics.com) supplies a comprehensive range of ceramics and glasses to the research and industrial markets either as finished components to customer drawings or in an extensive range of semi-finished forms including sheets, rods and tubes for our customers to machine their own components.