Precision Ceramics, a division of McGeoch Technology, is a company dedicated to the engineering of technical ceramics. From procurement and supply through to technical design and specialist machining, we offer a complete service.
Our reputation for quality and service is truly international with specialist ceramic components engineered by Precision Ceramics finding their way into an ever-widening array of worldwide applications in industries as diverse as aerospace, opto-electronics and nuclear power.
Boron Nitride Coatings
Boron Nitride Coatings are entirely inorganic, composed of boron nitride powder and a high temperature bond phase. Supplied in a liquid form suitable for brushing, Boron Nitride Coatings can be diluted with water to spraying and dipping consistencies and applied to a variety of porous and non-porous materials including graphite, metals, ceramics and organics.
Applications of Boron Nitride Coatings
Combat Boron Nitride Coatings can be used up to 1372°C (2500°F) in a reducing/inert atmosphere and 850°C (1562°F) in an oxidizing atmosphere, and will retain many of the properties of Boron Nitride such as:
- Non-wet by most molten metals, salts, fluxes and slags
- Resistant to molten metal corrosion and light metal drosses
- Excellent parting plane / very lubricious
- Helps in removal of solidified metals
Specific Grade Properties of Boron Nitride Coatings
Various compositions are formulated using a variety of inorganic binders. As a result, variations in physical properties such as hardness, adherence, useful temperature range, and ease of application are obtained.
- Type Sf - A general purpose coating comprised of 23% BN is a thick concentrate that is best diluted with water to the desired consistency and sprayed or brushed onto the refractory or metal mold.
- Type 10Sf - Same coating properties as Sf coating. Lower viscosity than Sf coating, a ready to use formula.
- Type 5Sf - Same coating properties as 10Sf but even lower viscosity.
- Type V - A high BN composition that dries to a harder surface used in special applications where a stronger binder is needed in applications such as coating moving parts in molten metal. Excellent for coating graphite.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Precision Ceramics.
For more information on this source, please visit Precision Ceramics.