Friction Welding - Manufacturing Food Processing Equipment

The use of bi-metal shaft in food processing equipment for production of positive displacement or centrifugal pump shafts

Case Study - Increasing Machining Capacity and Reducing Costs of Food Pumps

A leading manufacturer of food pumps needed to reduce costs and increase machining capacity without sacrificing part integrity or the material’s corrosive resistant character.

Advantage of Friction Welding in Food Processing Equipment

Utilizing The Friction Welding Advantage, American Friction Welding helped the customer realize a 50% savings and 20% increase in capacity by employing the following:

  • Friction welded 316L Stainless Steel on 25% of shaft where corrosion-resistance is required with the remaining 75% 1018HR low-cost carbon steel
  • Reduced machining time with higher feeds and speeds on the 1018 material which increased machining cell capacity by 20%
  • Used full KanBan program to reduce customer’s inventory


American Friction Welding application specialists work closely with you throughout your project. Design engineering assistance, process analysis and testing gives you the ultimate cost solutions. Add comprehensive post-production KanBan inventory and logistical support services and you're surrounded with The Friction Welding Advantage from AFW!

This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by American Friction Welding.

For more information on this source please visit American Friction Welding.


Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:

  • APA

    American Friction Welding. (2019, April 26). Friction Welding - Manufacturing Food Processing Equipment. AZoM. Retrieved on April 18, 2024 from

  • MLA

    American Friction Welding. "Friction Welding - Manufacturing Food Processing Equipment". AZoM. 18 April 2024. <>.

  • Chicago

    American Friction Welding. "Friction Welding - Manufacturing Food Processing Equipment". AZoM. (accessed April 18, 2024).

  • Harvard

    American Friction Welding. 2019. Friction Welding - Manufacturing Food Processing Equipment. AZoM, viewed 18 April 2024,

Tell Us What You Think

Do you have a review, update or anything you would like to add to this article?

Leave your feedback
Your comment type

While we only use edited and approved content for Azthena answers, it may on occasions provide incorrect responses. Please confirm any data provided with the related suppliers or authors. We do not provide medical advice, if you search for medical information you must always consult a medical professional before acting on any information provided.

Your questions, but not your email details will be shared with OpenAI and retained for 30 days in accordance with their privacy principles.

Please do not ask questions that use sensitive or confidential information.

Read the full Terms & Conditions.