The use of the non-destructive testing methods for determining the compressive strength of high performance concrete ensures high quality. Compressive strength test results are mainly used to determine whether the concrete mixtures used meet standard specifications. Structural failures because of concrete mixes that do not have the necessary strength for the specific application can be catastrophic and may lead to loss of life. Hence it becomes extremely important for construction companies to carry out such tests prior to opening structures such as buildings for service. Non-destructive testing also has the advantage that it is quicker and far more economical than destructive testing on samples.
This application note details the use of Proceq’s SilverSchmidt BN hammer by Hyundai Engineering and Construction. The specific requirements of the customer, applications of the instrument in the customer site and the benefits to the customer are discussed below.
Hyundai Engineering & Construction is a major Korean construction company working in a wide range of activities in the construction industry including residential and industrial projects, electricity and nuclear power plants, etc. The company is headquartered in South Korea with offices in Japan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, India, UAE, Saudi Arabia and UK.
The customer needed a comprehensive solution for concrete testing and their specific requirements are listed below:
- On-site non-destructive testing of concrete compressive strength.
- Speed of testing is essential.
- Quick, reliable and consistent measurement of compressive strength on high performance concrete.
Product Description - SilverSchmidt BN Hammer
The SilverSchmidt concrete test hammer is compact, features lightweight construction and does not require any maintenance. This advanced instrument integrates an electronic display and advanced mechanics with a true rebound coefficient enabling automatic conversion to compressive strength.
Hyundai E & C used the SilverSchmidt BN hammer for a number of applications that include the following:
- The instrument was used to test the compressive strength of concrete elements as part of their quality control program.
- Several types of concrete are tested and Proceq's Silver- Schmidt in particular allows testing of high performance concrete (HPC) parts. HPC has gained considerable significance due to its use in columns of high-rise buildings where both strength and durability are of utmost importance.
- The concrete parts tested by Hyundai can be anywhere in the range of 40 to 100 N/mm2.
Benefits to the Customer
Benefits of the SilverSchmidt BN hammer to the customer are listed below:
- It is possible to measure both standard strength and high strength materials with the same device.
- Speed of measurement is improved greatly due to direct readout of compressive strength.
- Impact angle independence is a key feature and very low maintenance is required.
Hyundai E & C have conventionally been using the Schmidt hammer for several years. They have now switched to the SilverSchmidt BN hammer and are finding it extremely beneficial. Reasons for this include:
- There is no need to compensate for the angle of impact
- Consistency of results is achieved and the instrument is user friendly
- The compressive strength is directly obtained and
- There is no need to know any specific language to read the results.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Proceq.
For more information on this source, please visit Proceq.