ABB’s TALYS ASP400 series is a simple yet rugged fiber optics-based FT- NIR analyzer that is specifically designed for use in the petrochemical and refinery industry.
The TALYS ASP400 serves as a simple base analyzer and comes with an entire range of flexible sampling interface options, which are perfect for various hydrocarbon process streams in refinery units.
In many petrochemical and refinery plants, there is a need for a rugged, simple and cost-effective analyzer that offers hazardous area installation capability, delivers excellent analytical performance, and allows complete communications and input and output facilities for sample system control and DCS communications.
These requirements are fully met by the single-channel fiber-optic FT-NIR analyzer.
The TALYS ASP400 can be easily installed and implemented, and requires only minimum maintenance.
Simple and Versatile Tool for Refinery Process Optimization
The TALYS ASP400 includes the same features used in ABB’s new product range, including the VECSL solid-state laser.
In addition, the TALYS also includes an on-board embedded controller that comes complete with HMI display. This unique feature reduces space, packaging, power and other utility needs.
The TALYS system allows control and in-line monitoring of continuous processes, and also helps in determining physical qualities or stream properties, real-time process monitoring, process characterization and early troubleshooting.
The FT-NIR analyzer can be remotely operated by computer over Ethernet to obtain complete diagnostics.
Uncompromised Analytical Performance
State-of-the Art Interferometer Design
The heart of the TALYS ASP400 series includes ABB’s advanced double-pivot compact interferometer. New features incorporated in the interferometer design ensure excellent stability, analytical performance and robustness.
These features include a modular and compact design including the source module as well as a output collimator with Jacquinot stop, patented scan mechanism and patented 24-bit sampling algorithm for improved dynamic range.
Featuring the same design as ABB’s MB3600 FT-NIR analyzers, the TALYS interferometer design facilitates a seamless transfer of calibration between instruments and locations. However, the detectors and sampling must be identical to enable a smooth transfer between ABB process analyzers and also between ABB process and laboratory analyzers with analogous sampling conditions.
The TALYS ASP400 series also supports a wide range of detectors to ensure exceptional analytical performance in terms of spectral range and sensitivity.
Refinery and Petrochemical Unit Applications
The TALYS system is ideal for applications involving naphtha conversion complexes. In this application area, straight-run naphtha is upgraded by catalytic reforming, hydrotreating and isomerization.
The main aim of this process is to increase unit throughput, sustain product quality, and prevent extreme furnace severity, thereby resulting in degradation of catalyst and coking of furnace tube. Real-time feed and/or rundown analysis is equally important to realize this operation.
Some applications include a light naphtha feed to isomerization and heavy naphtha feed to catalytic reforming. The naphtha steam cracker/olefins unit is yet another key petrochemical steam that relies on the naphtha feed quality for better operation and control.
Some of the advantages and source of return-on-investment in a refinery unit are enhanced reformate RON and aromatics/benzene quality, tight furnace control, an excellent response to naphtha feed transitions and prolonged catalyst run-lengths.
- Simple and flexile tool for refinery process optimization
- Small footprint
- Unit can be either wall or shelf mounted
- Completely integrated in a single enclosure
- On-board HMI display and integrated controller
- ExP purge controller incorporated with base enclosure
- Low cost of ownership with almost no scheduled maintenance for five years
- in ExD enclosure with ABB PLC module
- Hardwired I/O and pneumatics for sample system control
- Analyzer PC is not needed
- Full connectivity to DCS: Modbus TCP/IP, RTU and OPC
- Simple and easy installation with restricted footprint in analyzer shelter
- Multiple properties can be concurrently estimated
- Can be field-mounted in weather-protection enclosure or cabinet
- Calibration model sets available for different types of process stream can be easily implemented
- Flexible sampling – The TALYS ASP400 system is compatible with flow-through fast-loop sample cells, insertion or extraction transflectance or transmission probes, or full-specification extractive sampling solution with automatic wash
- Minimal field maintenance
- LPG c3 to c5+
- Naphtha conversion units – Hydrotreating, catalytic reforming, isomerization and hydrodesulfurization
- Final product blending – Diesel and gasoline
- HF alkylation – HF, iC4, olefins
- Naphtha steam cracking – Olefins unit
- Gasoline blending
- LPG streams
- HF alkylation unit and HF acid recycle
TALYS ASP400 – A Refinery and Petrochemical Process FT-NIR Analyzer
A robust single-channel fibre-optic FT-NIR analyzer for refinery and petrochemical unit process streams
A simple and versatile tool for refinery process optimization
Example integrated sample fast-loop conditioning system
with flow cell and automatic wash, reference and sample
auto-grab is shown here