ABB offers users a series of process gas chromatographs, of which include specialty gas chromatographs capable of performing the following procedures:
- Process simulated distillation
- Temperature programmed
- Fast temperature programmed
- Total sulfur concentrations
Each of these gas chromatographs can perform a real-time analysis of the chemical composition of any given process sample or stream, which is a particularly crucial aspect of most on-spec processes and productivity within the chemical, petrochemical, and refining industries. Of these chromatographs, the PGC5000B Smart Ovens target simple applications with a fixed set of features.
About the PGC5000
Based on over 50 years of innovative research on on-line process gas chromatographs, the ABB PGC5000 Series process gas chromatograph simplifies gas chromatography for the user while simultaneously increasing system reliability.
In fact, this product has been specifically designed for distribution control across various analytical Smart Ovens through the utilization of limitless application approaches. Two specific ovens fall under this product, of which include the PGC5000B and PGC5000C, both of which are suitably equipped for multiple applications.
Equipped with an integrated controller that offers users with a low initial investment solution through the integration of a single board computer (SBC) directly into the PGC5000B or PGC5000C gas chromatograph ovens.
This solution eliminates any additional costs that may be associated with the use of a single dedicated controller for each oven architecture, while also significantly reducing the overall size of the analyzer shelter because of the reduced space required to house traditional process gas chromatographs.
The PGC5000 with an integrated controller is available for all standard PGC5000B and PGC5000C ovens, both air bath and airless oven options. The newly introduced improvements in this technology supports the full offering of detectors, of which include:
- Flame ionization detector (FID)
- Multiport thermal conductivity detector
- Single port thermal conductivity detector
- Flame ionization detector (FPD).
- Correctly sized and designed
- Allows for simple configurations
- Maximum reliability
- User interface flexibility in three distinct options:
- Class 1
- Division 2/Zone 2 (Division 1/Zone 1 also available) portable notebook PC with wireless or wired Ethernet connections to the ovens.
- Can also be connected to a standard PC that is networked to the analyzer LAN with a wireless or wired Ethernet connection to the ovens.
- Both the first and second option allow for the use of the analyzer maintenance software STAR. These options can also be easily connected to allow for a single user interface to display all controls simultaneously.
- Single PGC5000A controller
- Controls and serves as the UI for all ovens in a single shelter
- Designed for mission critical measurements
- Standard detector configurations that allow for the following capabilities:
- End users can use the existing network that is available within the shelters to communicate with the process gas chromatographs using either a standard PC, industrial tablet, or Master Controller.
- Optional secure wireless access point device (such as a MOXA device) provides:
- Wireless communication for the system
- Adjustable transmission distance that limits the connection range to remain only within the shelter
Benefits of the PGC5000
- Reduction in associated system costs by 17%
- Analyzer costs
- End Users
- Smaller footprint
- Reduces shelter size by 50%
- Reduces energy consumption
- Reduced costs of installing additional products
- Reduces HVAC capacity
- Optimized oven installation
Control Features of the PGC5000A Generation 2 Master Controller
The PGC5000A Generation 2 Master Controller equipped with the newly developed Graphical Driven HMI offers users a fully functional touchscreen that simplifies all related developing, editing, and storing analysis methods without requiring the utilization of any programming methods.
In fact, the system has been made so easy that just a ‘point, click, drag and drop’ allows for immediate access into any of the analyzer functions. Each of the major analyzer functions can be easily identified on the tabs, thereby further simplifying ease of access to information for the user.
- 10” SVGA universal touch screen
- Multi-touch control supports the HMI
- Simple tab layout
- Intrinsically safe fiber optic connections to multiple Smart Ovens
- Redundant Ethernet ports for guaranteed improved data transfers
- Standard USB ports for convenient system updates
- Direct MODBUS communication
- Comprehensive I/O options
- A single PGC5000A controller can connect to all PGC5000 ovens with an integrated controller on the same network
- Only requires the use of a singly logical address (analyzer tag name).
Process Gas Chromatographs PGC5000 Series for Real-time Analysis of the Chemical Composition
PGC5000A Generation 2 Master Controller
DRS2170 Dynamic Reflux Sampler