TESCAN SOLARIS X extends the capabilities of FIB physical failure analysis to large-area and deep cross-sectioning (up to 1 mm) of packaged microelectromechanical and optoelectronic devices, by combining the high-throughput i-FIB+™ Xe plasma FIB column with the next generation tripleobjective Triglav™ electron column.
Xe plasma FIB milling enables large-volume bulk material removal without the drawbacks of the traditionally used methods, which are often time-consuming, broadly destructive, dependent on operator skill, and can induce new heat/mechanical artifacts. Ion implantation and interaction volume of Xe ions is significantly smaller than those of Ga ions. In addition, the inert nature of Xe ions prevents the formation of intermetallic compounds that can result in changes to the physical properties of the specimen and interfere with electrical measurements.
The Triglav™ SEM column features TESCAN’s proprietary triple objective TriLens™. This immersion-type ultra-highresolution lens is ideal for imaging beam sensitive materials at low landing voltages. The field-free high-resolution analytical lens provides large field of view for smooth, fast, and easy navigation across a sample, plus live monitoring of FIB operations. The third objective lens enables a variety of display modes, and spot shape optimization at high electron beam currents to improve microanalysis spatial resolution.
The in-column detection system features TriSE™ and TriBE™ to enable optimization of secondary and backscattered electron contrast methods by take-off angle, thus maximizing information from the sample. In addition, surface sensitivity of backscattered electron acquisition can be enhanced by energy-filtering.
The TESCAN Essence™ graphical user interface, which includes the vector based DrawBeam™ FIB pattern generator utility, can be customized for specific application workflows and to accommodate user skill and/or preferences. Furthermore, a choice of software modules, wizards and recipes make FIB-SEM applications an easy and straightforward experience for both novice and expert users.
- Artifact free large-area cross-sectioning for physical failure analysis of advanced packaging technologies Prepare large area FIB cross sections up to 1 mm in width
- Obtain low noise, low kV SEM images with fast acquisition times, even while the sample is tilted
- Live SEM monitoring during FIB milling for precise end-pointing at beam coincidence point
- Selective secondary and backscattered electron contrast methods with in-column TriSE™ and TriBE™ detectors
- Effective techniques and recipes for fast, artifact-free high current cross-sectioning of composite samples (OLED and TFT displays, MEMS devices, isolation dielectrics)
- Essence™ easy-to-use modular user interface