University of Queensland
Staff House Rd
61 (7) 33653738
61 (7) 33653888
My primary areas of expertise are in the service and performance of engineering materials. Teaching and research in various countries across the world, numerous industrial collaborative projects as well as a long list of publications attest my experience in this field.
I can provide assistance on most areas of corrosion. Some specific examples include:
- Stress corrosion cracking
- Hydrogen embrittlement
- Corrosion of magnesium alloys
- Atmospheric corrosion and patination of copper
- Performance of blading in large, low pressure steam turbines
GCEd - University of Queensland (1997)
D.Eng - University of Queensland (1997)
Ph.D. - University of Adelaide (1976)
B.Sc.(Hons) - University of Adelaide (1970)
1. H. Fernee, J. Nairn, A. Atrens, "Precipitation Hardening of Cu-Fe-Cr Alloys, Part I Mechanical and Electrical Properties", J. Mat. Sci. Vol. 36, pp. 2711-19 (2001)
2. J.Q. Wang, A. Atrens, D.R. Cousens, "Grain Boundary Characterisation of X65 Pipeline Steel Using Analytical Electron Microscopy", J. Mat. Sci., 34, pp. 1711-19 (1998).
3. N.N. Kinaev, D.R Cousens, A. Atrens, "The Crack Tip Strain Field of AISI 4340 Part III Hydrogen Influence", J. Mat. Sci., 34 pp. 4931-36 (1999)
4. G. Song, A. Atrens, "Corrosion Mechanisms of Magnesium Alloys", Adv. Eng. Mat., 1 pp. 11-33 (1999)
5. A Atrens, Z.F. Wang and J.Q. Wang, "SCC Initiation for 4340 in Distilled Water", Advances in Fracture Research, Proc. of the Ninth Int. Conf. on Fracture, Pergamon, 375-82 (1997)
Professional Institution Membership
Fellow of the Institute of Engineers, Australia
Significant Employment History
1991 - Present: Associate Professor in Materials Engineering, University of Queensland
1990 - 1993: Deputy Head, Department of Mining and Metallurgical Engineering, University of Queensland
1987 - 1990: Senior Lecturer, University of Queensland
1984 - 1986: Lecturer, University of Queensland
1978 - 1984: Project Leader, BBC Brown Boveri Research Centre, Switzerland
1976 - 1978: Research Assiatnt Professor, Univeristy of Note Dame, USA
1974 - 1976: Post Doctoral Fellow, Atomic Energy of Canada, Canada
Corrosion evaluation and testing services.
Fee Charging structure and rates
I will provide an indication of costs when I have seen the question.
Availability and preferred contact route
I prefer to be contacted by e-mail.
Current availability status