Research Assistant Professor
113 Olin Hall
1 (864) 6565349
1 (864) 6561453
Click here to visit Web Site
Areas of materials expertise:
- Manufacture of porous or non-porous synthetic hard tissue scaffolds for orthopedic and dental applications
- Synthesis and processing of submicron or nanosize calcium phosphate bioceramics
- in vitro cell testing of biomaterials
- Biomimetic coating
- in situ impregnation of metals and polymers with bone mineral
- Chemical synthesis of inorganic nanomaterials and nanopowders; hydroxycarbonate chemistry
- Characterization of inorganic, metallic and polymeric materials.
Achievements: fast (less than 6 hours, 100 micron coating thickness) biomimetic coating of metals, ceramicss and polymers at RT in concentrated and supersaturated calcium phosphate solutions, biomimetic and nanosize calcium phosphate powder synthesis
PhD, 1993: Iowa State University, USA / Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering
MSc, 1986: Middle East Technical University (Ankara, Turkey) / Dept. of Materials Engineering
BSc, 1983: Middle East Technical University (Ankara, Turkey) / Dept. of Materials Engineering
- A. C. Tas and S. B. Bhaduri, “Rapid Coating of Ti6Al4V at Room Temperature with a Calcium Phosphate Solution Similar to 10x Simulated Body Fluid,” Journal of Materials Research, 19(9), 2742-2749 (2004).
- A. C. Tas, “Synthesis of Biomimetic Ca-Hydroxyapatite Powders at 37°C in Synthetic Body Fluids,” Biomaterials, 21(14), 1429-1438 (2000).
- N. O. Engin and A. C. Tas, “Preparation of Porous Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2 and beta-Ca3(PO4)2 Bioceramics,” Journal of The American Ceramic Society, 83(7), 1581-1584 (2000).
- N. Kivrak and A. C. Tas, “Synthesis of Calcium Hydroxyapatite-Tricalcium Phosphate (HA-TCP) Composite Bioceramic Powders and Their Sintering Behavior,” Journal of The American Ceramic Society, 81, 2245-2252 (1998).
- A. C. Tas, F. Korkusuz, M. Timucin and N. Akkas, “An Investigation of the Chemical Synthesis and High-Temperature Sintering Behaviour of Calcium Hydroxyapatite (HA) and Tricalcium Phosphate (TCP) Bioceramics,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 8, 91-96 (1997).
Professional Institution Membership
Society for Biomaterials
Materials Research Society
American Chemical Society
American Ceramic Society
European Ceramic Society
Significant Employment History
Research Assistant Professor: Clemson University (May 2003 to date)
Senior Scientist: Biomet-Merck Biomaterials GmbH, Darmstadt, Germany (Sep 2001 to April 2003)
Visiting Professor: Max-Planck-Institute for Metals Research, Stuttgart, Germany (Feb 1999 to Feb 2001)
Associate Professor: Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey (July 1993 to Feb 2002)
Fee Charging structure and rates
I provide an indication of costs once I have seen the question.
Availability and preferred contact route
I prefer to be contacted by e-mail only. I try to provide an initial response within 24 hours if my workload allows.
Current availability status