Jul 25 2008
Alcoa announced today that its Materials Management business has named the top ten scrap processors for 2008. Criteria required for top scrap suppliers include quality, volume and performance. Maintaining these high standards, Alcoa Materials Management has been able to increase its scrap purchases by more than 10% annually for the last three years.
The 2008 Alcoa Material Management Top Ten Suppliers are:
- American Iron and Metal [Montreal, Quebec, Canada]
- David J Joseph Co. [Cincinnati, Ohio]
- Metal Conversion Ltd. [Mansfield, Ohio]
- Newco Metals Inc. [Pendleton, Indiana]
- Omnisource Corp. [Fort Wayne, Indiana]
- Service Aluminum Corp. [Ellicott City, Maryland]
- Shapiro Sales [St. Louis, Missouri]
- Smelter Service Corp. [Mount Pleasant, Tennessee]
- State Metal Industries [Camden, New Jersey]
- Weiner Iron and Metal [Pottsville, Pennsylvania]
Schupan and Sons, of Kalamazoo, Michigan, was selected Most Improved 2008 Supplier. The 2008 Strategic Copper Supplier is Copper Consultants, based in Glendale, Arizona.
“Our metrics are to continue to increase our annual scrap buying, without lowering or compromising our strict quality, safety and environmental standards. We work closely with our strategic scrap suppliers through our annual and formula–based pricing scrap buying programs,” said Kevin Anton, President Alcoa Materials Management.
Criteria for selecting candidates include:
- Scrap Volume
- Scrap Value/Savings to Alcoa
- Proximity to Alcoa plants
- Dealer growth and improving scrap product
- Number of Alcoa Plants Supplied
- Timely Delivery
- Dealer Safety Programs
- Environmental Compliance
- ISO 9000
“This elite group of suppliers work closely with us in understanding each others needs and objectives to improve the scrap quality and processes within the Alcoa plants,” Anton added.
For more information on scrap metal, click here.