MCI®-2008 ViaCorr, patented, is an organic-based concrete admixture in powder form which combines Cortec’sexclusive Migratory Corrosion Inhibition Technology with a polycarboxylate based, superplastisizing, viscosity modifier. MCI®-2008 ViaCorr offers engineers, owners, contractors, DOTs, and government agencies exclusive corrosion inhibiting technology that will extend the life of all reinforced concrete structures and reduce construction time as well as equipment costs and manpower for placing and compacting.
MCI®- 2008 is recommended as an additive for selfleveling concrete used in:
• All reinforced, precast, prestressed, and posttensioned concrete structures
• Steel-reinforced concrete bridges, highways, roads, and buildings exposed to corrosive environments (carbonation, deicing salts, and atmospheric attack)
• All reinforced marine concrete structures
• Concrete piers, piles, pillars, pipes, utility poles and architectural concrete
• Restoration and repair of all reinforced concrete
• Self-leveling underlayments
• Specialty shaped concrete slabs
MCI®-2008 ViaCorr protects carbon steel, galvanized steel and other metals embedded in concrete from corrosion induced by carbonation, chloride and atmospheric attack. When incorporated into the concrete mix, MCI®-2008 ViaCorr seeks out and forms a corrosion inhibiting protective layer on metals. When used with repair mortars and grouts, MCI®- 2008 ViaCorr will migrate to undisturbed concrete, providing effective corrosion protection to rebar already in place.
Other benefits include:
- Elimination of rubbing and patching required to fill defects in poorly consolidated surfaces
- Significantly improves the concrete’s plastic and hardened properties
- Ideal to produce flowing concrete where rapid placing is required or in very congested zones
- Significantly reduces gas permeability
- Dosage is not affected by chloride concentration
- Reduces the water content while keeping good workability properties
- Does not contain any nitrite-based compound
The chemical structure of MCI® admixtures is such that they do not decompose over an extended period of time, making them effective for periods in excess of 34 years. This effectiveness has been proven in two long-term independent test programs: The Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP) and Cracked Beam studies based on ASTM G 109.