CAF, Fatronik, Geminys and Traintic have created NEM (New Maintenance Strategies), a new company targeting development strategies and innovative technologies in the field of maintenance. The enterprise is to draw up high, added-value solutions that are tailor-made for clients so these may optimise their maintenance tasks and thus enhance the profitability of their companies.
They are currently working on a number of lines of research, previously defined by the CAF and Fatronik technological alliance, such as the following, for example:
- Quest for new systems of artificial intelligence aimed at maintenance, enabling the anticipation of possible failures in on-board equipment.
- Research into new systems for the remote locating and monitoring of trains en route, based on Web Technologies and that enable the visualisation, not only of the location of trains anywhere in the world, but also the online monitoring of their state.
In principle, NEM’s activity will be focused on the railway sector in order to meet the direct demands of the CAF company which, while keeping abreast of the possibilities of this focus, will probably extend its activities to other sectors such as aeronautics and road transport. Maintenance is a key area within the lines of growth for CAF and will undoubtedly become more important in the future. The maintenance sector is also a niche currently ripe for exploitation and fills a need for specific technological developments for the optimisation of its processes, both in time and cost. These are the reasons why the Gipuzkoa-based company decided to promote this project in 2006.
To launch the project, CAF made contact with two companies, Traintic and Geminys, the new initiative providing added value in both directions. The Fatronik research centre also became involved and so a technological alliance in the field was formed.
- CAF, apart from promoting the activity and being the major shareholder, this company will provide its rail sector experience to this new company and, at the same time, will be a potential customer.
- FATRONIK has, apart from collaborating in the launching of NEM, with the drawing up of the business plan, a number of projects with CAF that will become projects with NEM. It will be the reference technology centre for NEM in those state-of-the-art projects where the subcontracting of services from a research centre is required. Moreover, Fatronik’s experience in various railway market niches will boost the expansion of NEM.
- GEMINYS is a company devoted to the design, creation, composing and editing of operating and maintenance theory manuals, industrial equipment catalogues and Maintenance Plans, focusing its activities on the following sectors: Machine-Tools, Special Machinery and Railways. Its association with NEM enables improvement in competitiveness for both enterprises and the possibility of complementing the catalogue of services provided for their customers.
- TRAINTIC is a supplier of electronic systems and telecommunications for the railway sector, made to measure for the client. It will work with NEM on the development of joint and innovative projects and the synergy created will be ongoing between the two activities, providing reciprocal high added value.