Zeus heat shrink provides protective, color identified, strain relieving, waterproof shrink-to-fit covering for your essential components. PTFE / FEP Dual-Shrink® contains two different polymers combined into one heat shrink, providing a protective encapsulation for vital components.
The specialised Dual-shrink® tubing is particularly useful in automotive and aerospace applications, used to fully enclose items to shield them from damage from moisture and additional chemicals. This tubing is comprised of an external layer of PTFE and an internal layer of FEP. The combination of these polymers provides a resistant protective layer over important components including terminals, splices, wires, cables and connectors.
Once heated, the internal FEP layer melts and encloses components, whilst the PTFE outer layer shrinks to provide a tight seal. Overall, this ensures that the encapsulation can withstand severe pulling and vibrations.
The exceptional electrical, chemical, and mechanical properties of PTFE and FEP are maintained in Dual-Shrink® tubing, with a high continuous service temperature range up to 450 °F (232 °C). The external PTFE layer provides exceptional resistance to corrosion with recovery temperatures between 654 °F (346 °C) and 670 °F (354 °C).
Customisations of tolerance, size and contained polymers is available and can be quoted from the team at (US) 1-800-526-3842 or +1-803-268-9500 (internationally).
Dual-Shrink® Heat Shrink Recovery Procedures
- Fumes may cause dizziness and nausea, so firstly ensure that there is sufficient ventilation before starting the process.
- The required temperatures of 650 °F ± 50 °F (343 °C ± 28 °C) are safe and liberal for use with dual-shrink®. However, these are general guidelines and actual required temperature may be higher or lower. This temperature is subject to change when alterations are made including the design and dimensions of the heat shrink, the application technique and other factors.
- The component (mandrel) to be covered must also be able tolerate these high temperatures.
- Preheating the mandrel can prevent hinderance of the Dual-shrink® process, Failure to do so can result in insufficient thermal energy being transferred to the Dual-Shrink®, thereby preventing the tight encapsulation.
- Moderate recovery is required as highly restricted recovery can induce longitudinal loss and extreme restriction can promote splitting.
- The best results are ensured by heating evenly on all sides before cooling at room temperature. Failure to do so can result in splitting, particularly in recovery, as the PTFE on one side may still be gel whilst the other side is hard and crystalline. The shrinking commences once the PTFE is in the gel state and finishes when cooling in recovery. Once in the gel state, the PTFE will become transparent and glass-like. FEP melts once the reflow temperature is attained.
The most accurate method of recovering heat shrink products is with an oven, as this ensures even heating and prevents overheating. Alternatively, heat guns can also be used successfully.
For Encapsulation of components – Zeus Dual-Shrink® is a highly developed multi-layer tubing. The internal layer creates a tight seal as it is melted over components, whilst the external layer provides a protective shrinkable outer polymer layer. This ensures protection from harmful external moisture and chemicals by creating a double seal to the environment.
For Electrical Connections – Zeus Dual-Shrink® maintains connections between electrical items by insuring a secure and reliable flow of power. This tubing can also provide security from a wide-range of operating environments.
For Wire Splicing – Dual-Shrink® tubing can be used when other traditional methods of splicing are unavailable. The internal FEP layer of the Dual-Shrink® tubing is exceptionally tolerant to excessive stresses including pulling, bending, and vibrations.
Chemical Resistance – Dual-Shrink® tubing can provide resistance to many common workplace chemicals, thereby extending the life of your key components.
Secure Moisture-Proof Protection – Dual-Shrink® tubing forms a tight layer which provides protection of various components from external moisture. The dual-layer of Dual-Shrink® consists of an internal layer of FEP which melts and forms a tight seal, whilst the external layer shrinks and forms a tight external cover, overall resulting in a super-secure moisture proof encapsulation.
Wide Working Temperature Range – Dual-Shrink® has a wide range of viable working temperatures, operating in a range of -328 °F (-200 °C) to 450 °F (232 °C).
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Zeus Industrial Products, Inc.
For more information on this source, please visit Zeus Industrial Products, Inc.