As aircraft turbine engines require greater efficiencies, their designs require robust materials that withstand high thermal and mechanical stress.
H.C. Starck Solutions does not provide only molybdenum-based (TZM and Molybdenum Lanthanum Alloys) metal dies to forge precision fan blades and rotors, but also high performance powders to coat them providing an increased service life. Engine performance is optimized, backflow is diminished, fuel consumption is reduced and safer engine operation is enabled by thermal-spray application of insulation layers on turbine blades. H.C Starck Solutions’ AMPERIT product line provides these powders.
Molybdenum, Tungsten and Tantalum Products
Tungsten Alloy Products: 17.0 to 18.5 grams per cc
Tungsten alloy products include K1700, K1701, K1750, K1800, K1801, K1850, HPM1700, HPM1701, HPM1750, HPM1800, HPM1801 and HPM1850
Molybdenum Sheet, Plate Foil, Forging Billets, Bar, and Rod Products:
H.C. Starck Solutions produces an extensive range of molybdenum and molybdenum alloy mill products using two primary consolidation methods that include vacuum arc-casting (AC) and powder metallurgy (PM). Product availability from both these established processes offer users several options in material selection to satisfy their specific application requirements. Mill products available from either process include forging billets, bar, rod, sheet, plate and foil.
The molybdenum alloys offered include the following:
- PD-7000 Pure Molybdenum AC Bar Low Carbon
- PD-7006 Pure Molybdenum AC Bar
- PD-7001 Molybdenum Alloy TZM PM Sheet 2702
- PD-7011 Molybdenum Alloy TZM PM Plate 2703
- PD-7004 Molybdenum Alloy TZM AC Plate 3403
- PD-7005 Molybdenum Alloy TZM AC Sheet 3402
- PD-7021 Molybdenum Alloy TZM AFBT AC Forging Billet
- PD-7025 Molybdenum Alloy TZM ABT AC Bar
- PD-7031 Molybdenum Alloy P/M TZM PM Billet
- PD-7043 Molybdenum Alloy ODS Mo-La PM Sheet 2602
- PD-7044 Molybdenum Alloy ODS Mo-La PM Plate 2603
- PD-7020 Molybdenum Alloy AFB-30W AC Forging Billet
- PD-7022 Molybdenum Alloy AFB AC Forging Billet
- PD-7024 Molybdenum Alloy AB-30W AC Bar
- PD-7008 Molybdenum Alloy PBT PM Bar
- PD-7009 Pure Molybdenum PB PM Bar
- PD-7010 Pure Molybdenum PSB PM Billet
- PD-7029 Pure Molybdenum Plate PP-22-2
- PD-7014 Pure Molybdenum Sheet Premium Grade PS-100-2
- PD-7016 Pure Molybdenum Sheet Standard Grade PS-300-2
- PD-7017 Pure Molybdenum Foil F-21-5
- PD-7026 Pure Molybdenum ABL AC Bar Low Carbon
- PD-7028 Pure Molybdenum ASL AC Sheet 3202 Low Carbon
- PD-7030 Pure Molybdenum APL AC Plate 3203 Low Carbon
Tantalum and Tantalum Alloy Products:
Tantalum and tantalum alloy products offered by H.C.Starck Solutions include the following:
- PD-7033 NRC Ultra 76 Tantalum Alloy (Ta 2.5%W)
- PD-7035 NRC Tantalum (UNS R05200)
- PD-7036 NRC Tantalum Beam Melted Tantalum (ETA) (UNS R05200)
- PD-7037 NRC 91 Alloy (ta-7%)
- PD-7041 NRC Ultra 76 Tantalum Alloy (Ta 2.5%W)
In order to reduce vibration and improve passenger and pilot comfort, accurate balancing of both rotary and fixed wing aircraft is critical. This is achieved using high-strength dense materials produced for optimum weight concentration. In order to help balance and stabilize the control surfaces of ailerons, elevators, and rudder sections of aircraft, helicopter rotor blades, and cockpit instrumentation, H.C. Starck Solutions offers complex-shaped balance weights manufactured from tungsten heavy metal alloys.
H.C.Starck Solutions specializes in build-to-print components and design assistance and provides tungsten, molybdenum, and tantalum products to the world’s premier warhead manufacturers. Along with other aerospace products, H.C. Starck Solutions supplies defense manufacturer’s tungsten alloy balance weights for missile bodies and sensor arrays. Finally, solid rocket motors make use of a number of specialty compounds to improve thrust and molybdenum-based products to guide propulsion though vanes and nozzles.
H.C.Starck Solutions also has an excellent extrusion and rotary forging facility where large complicated shapes are extruded from specialty metals and alloy-based systems including titanium, nickel, molybdenum, tantalum, niobium and other high-tech materials for critical aircraft structural components.
Defense and aerospace are two key markets for H.C. Starck Solutions and the company has supplied its products to several aerospace and defense applications over the years. The continual growth of industry performance requirements helps the company make investments in its material and processing technology to support these requirements.
H.C.Starck Solutions works closely with its customers in producing and developing custom products as per customer specification. With more than 50 years experience in the manufacture of high-tech materials for various applications, H.C. Starck Solutions consistently delivers materials and products of exceptional quality.
As a vertically integrated manufacturer tight control of all our processes are exercised from raw material refining to delivering high purity finished products. H.C. Starck Solutions has a unique worldwide reach close collaboration and contact with customers. The company’s experienced research and development department helps in continuously being at the forefront of technological advancement and development of new products along with its partners in the industry.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by H.C. Starck Solutions.
For more information on this source, please visit H.C. Starck Solutions.