University of New South Wales
School of Materials Science and Engineering
61 (2) 93854421
61 (2) 93855956
Click here to visit Web Site
Areas of expertise include:
- Phase Equilibria
- Non-Oxide Ceramic Systems
- Gems and Gemmology
- Glasses and Glass Ceramics
- High Temperature Superconductors
- Powder Processing
- Ceramic Forming Methods
- Densification and Sintering
- Microwave Processing of Ceramics
- Crystal Growth
- Mineral Processing
- Clay-Based Ceramics
- X-Ray and Thermal Analysis
The calibre of the work carried out in these fields has lead to over $10million in research grants over the last 10 years as well as in excess of 250 publications and over 100 technical consultancies over the last 20 years.
Diploma (Diamond Technology, Gemmological Assoc. Aust) 1993
Certificate (Diamond Grading, Gemmological Assoc. Aust) 1992
Ph. D. (Ceramic Engineering, UNSW) 1987
Diploma (Gemmology, Gemmological Assoc. Aust) 1984
M. Sc. (Ceramic Science, Penn. State University) 1980
B. Sc. (Chemistry, University of Missouri-Rolla) 1980
B. Sc. (Ceramic Engineering, University of Missouri-Rolla)
1. C.C. Sorrell, "Silicon Nitride and Related Nitrogen Ceramics: II. Phase Equilibria and Properties of Reaction Bonded and Hot Pressed Si-Al-O-N Systems", J. Aust. Ceramic Ceram. Soc., 19  48-67 (1983).
2. A.J. Ruys, J. Kerdic, and C.C. Sorrell, "Thixotropic Casting of Ceramic-Metal Functionally Gradient Materials", J. Mater. Sci., 31  4247-55 (1996).
3. J.K.F. Yau and C.C. Sorrell, "High-Jc (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3O10+x Tapes Fabricated by Electrophoretic Deposition", Physica C, 282-287 [IV] 2563-64 (1997).
4. O.C. Standard and C.C. Sorrell, "Densification of Zirconia - Conventional Methods", pp. 251-300 in Zirconia Engineering Ceramics: Old Challenges – New Ideas. Edited by E. Kisi. Trans Tech Publications, Zurich, Switzerland, 1998 [Key Eng. Mater., 153-154, 251-300 (1998)].
5. C.C. Sorrell, O.C. Standard, N. Ehsani, and A.J. Ruys, "Examination of the Absence of a Microwave Effect in Ceramics through Precise Determination of Thermal Effects", pp. 333-66 in Interfaces of Ceramic Materials, Proceedings of the Third International Workshop on Interfaces of Ceramic Materials: Properties and Applications III. Edited by R.St.C. Smart. Institute of Materials, London, 1998.
Professional Institution Membership
Institution of Engineers, Australia - Fellow (1995)
National Institute of Ceramic Engineers (1988-)
Gemmological Association of Australia - Fellow (1982-)
Australiasian Ceramic Society - various offices held on state
and federal commitees (1981-)
Also a member of the editorial board and referee for numerous
international journals and publications.
Significant Employment History
Professor - UNSW (1997-)
Associate Professor - UNSW (1992-1996)
Senior Lecturer - UNSW (1989-1991)
Lecturer - UNSW (1987-1989)
Materials testing and consultancy services.
Expert witness for legal matters.
Fee Charging structure and rates
To be negotiated between client and university.
Availability and preferred contact route
Please contact via e-mail.
Current availability status