The improved ferrite tool (Version 5.0) from EPCOS allows application-related parameters to be calculated and represented on graphs. Digitized material data of all ferrites from EPCOS can also be accessed. This version may be used under both Windows XP and Vista. In addition to the new user interface, the graphics options were also improved to now include a copy function. A detailed description is contained in the user manual, which is available as a PDF file.
The new database comprises all current ferrite materials from EPCOS. This also includes N45, T36 and T66 for broadband transformers as well as N51 and N95 for power transformers. The improved tool features the following functions:
- Display of complex permeability and impedance as a function of frequency
- Transmittable power adjusted for skin and proximity effects (from the wire calculation menu)
- Calculation of the distortion factor (third harmonic) under specific circuit conditions at various temperatures
- Calculation of core loss as a function of signal form
- Specification of wire thickness as per AWG
To support design-ins, the data sheets for all materials by application are available under www.epcos.com/ferrite_materials.
Like all development tools from EPCOS, this new ferrite tool is free of charge and may be downloaded from www.epcos.com/tools.