Over the past 12 months, the level of demand for carbon fiber and carbon fiber reinforced composites has steadily increased in striking parallel with the number of industrial applications using composite materials.
From aerospace to sporting goods to wind energy, carbon fiber is rapidly gaining acceptance as an alternative material to metals, wood, and plastics, and is becoming more widely recognized for its high-performance characteristics.
Firms that produce carbon fiber and carbon fiber reinforced composites are approaching market opportunities with starkly different strategies. In a major new research report, Worldwide Carbon Fiber Competitive Analysis and Leadership Study, 2010, Lucintel's analysts examine and profile seven of the world's leading carbon fiber producers. This report offers a full competitive analysis from target markets to product mapping, and from selling strategy to production capabilities. Lucintel’s leadership closely examined and rated each carbon fiber maker on two of following primary criteria:
- Alignment with market opportunity
- Ability to gain market share
Some of the highlights of this report are:
- Carbon fiber demand growth is projected to increase at about 13% annually in the next five years.
- Some of the leading suppliers are projected to lose market share over the next five years. Toray and Zoltek are expected to gain market shares in the next five years.
- Market shares of carbon fiber vendors in the aerospace, industrial, and sporting goods markets are identified.
- In terms of product range for carbon fiber market, Toray ranked number one.
- In terms of net income to revenue, Hexcel ranked number one.
- In terms of return on equity, Hexcel ranked number one.
The detailed analysis of each company offers a critical view into key strategic areas, including:
- Carbon fiber producer target markets
- Key differentiators, strengths, competitors etc.