MicroSense has been a leading manufacturer of vibrating sample magnetometers and other magnetic measurement devices for over three decades. The company’s recent development is the new Easy (EZ) VSM system, featuring superior performance.
The EZ VSM systems can characterize any kind of material at a rapid speed. Their high sensitivity and remarkable low and high field performance render the system suitable for applications in thin films, rocks, powders, solids and liquids. These systems are available in three different models such as EZ 7, EZ 9 and EZ 11 VSM systems.
Key Features of EZ VSM Systems
Given below are the major features of EZ VSM systems:
- High and low field capabilities – VSM systems have proprietary real-time field control system with low field noise, which enables them to measure samples with low coercivities without having the need to use a Helmholtz coil based system. Meanwhile, the EZ 9 VSM has the compact electromagnet that achieves a maximum field of 2.2T with vector coil and temperature options. Figure 1 shows the low field capability of the EasyVSM systems.
Figure 1. Low field capability of the EasyVSM systems
- High sensitivity – The EZ VSM systems feature low noise at any gap. When used with the LNA chamber, noise is lesser than 0.5µemu. They offer high signal to noise ratio with the temperature options. Upon using with the vector option, the noise is 10 times lower than the noise in competing systems.
- Versatility – The EZ VSM carries out all types of magnetic measurements such as time decay measurements, temperature scans, angular and AC remanence loops, delta H and Henkel plots, delta M, IRM and DCD remanence Loops, and hysteresis and minor loops. Further, the system allows the user to custom create measurements with full control over system functions.
- High accuracy – The combination of high precision real time, direct field control and performance signal acquisition and processing function improves the accuracy of measured parameters and graphs, thereby allowing measurements on soft magnetic samples at a 24 bit field resolution.
- Efficient power supply – All EZ VSM magnets are powered by energy- efficient, air cooled power supply which facilitates various measurements without turning on the water chiller. The system has a large touch screen mounted on the flexible cabinet arm. This enables the user to operate the computer from any angle. The high field EV11 system also has the single cabinet design that is enabled by the compact magnet power supply. Figure 2 shows the EZ VSM system with the single cabinet design.
Figure 2. EZ VSM system with the single cabinet design
- Rapid and Efficient use – The system’s unique sample vibrating mechanism facilitates fast and convenient sample mounting and alignment. Samples can be quickly aligned for improved measurement accuracy and repeatability. In addition, the touchscreen computer with EasyVSM software enables quick setup of simple as well as complicated measurements. Figure 3 and 4 show the measurement of 6µemu sample and noise level measurement without signal averaging at 400°C, respectively.
Figure 3. Measurement on a 6µemu sample
Figure 4. Example of measured noise level without signal averaging at 400°C
Figure 5. Measured noise at 10s per point averaging at a sample space of 4 mm
- Flexible options – All EZ VSMs feature a unique combination system with torque, and/or magneto-resistance options that can be added without increasing the footprint of the system.
The following are the various system options available in the EZ VSM system:
- LNA temperature control - The VSMs are provided with continuous range of temperature control from liquid nitrogen to 1000K, without any variations in hardware.
- LHE temperature control - Liquid helium temperature control can be used along with liquid nitrogen with optional N2DEW system. The system offers high resolution temperature control with less impact on the background signals and signal noise.
- VAR automatic rotation – This option has a range of ±400°, resolution of 0.002° and accuracy of ±0.2°.
- TRQ torque magnetometer - The system is mounted with torque transducer and vibrator head for rapid and convenient switching between torque and VSM measurement. A true torque magnetometer is more precise and over 5x sensitive when compared to a vector coil based torque system.
- SWP sweeping field measurement option - Addition of sweep field measurement option to the standard measurement mode of VSM enables continuous measurement of data while the field is being swept. This results in providing up to 60 data points per second, which allow faster measurement times.
- MR magneto resistance option – The combination of MR option and LNA option enables measurements at low and high temperatures. The MR probe is provided with four in-line spring loaded pins for a solder-less connection to the sample.
MicroSense’ EZ" series VSM systems are used to characterize the magnetic properties of magnetic thin films or any liquid or solid. They offer exceptional field control resulting in faster measurements with improved sensitivity. The signal to noise ratio for a typical magnetic measurement at temperature is better than the competing VSMs.
About MicroSense, LLC
MicroSense, LLC, previously known as ADE Technologies, is comprised of three primary businesses – precision capacitive sensors, vibrating sample magnetometers and magneto-optical Kerr effect (MOKE)tools for state-of-the-art magnetic measurement and wafer measurment systems.
Until the company was sold in November, 2009, we were a subsidiary of KLA-Tencor Corporation, a leading global supplier of semiconductor wafer defect inspection and metrology tools. MicroSense serves a host of industries including semiconductor equipment, data storage, machine tool, solar, automotive and high brightness LED. MicroSense provides customer value and security, through extensive business experience, financial strength, world- wide support, and technical leadership.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by MicroSense, LLC.
For more information on this source, please visit MicroSense, LLC.