University of Technology, Sydney
PO Box 123
61 (2) 95141784
61 (2) 95141628
Click here to visit Web Site
Over the last two decades I have worked on the production and analysis of various advanced ceramics (alumina, zirconia, silicon nitrides), sol-gel derived thin films for corrosion and abrasion protection and biocompatibility, as well as optical and electronic ceramics.
I have also contributed in the areas of mechanical properties of sol-gel coatings, materials for implant technology (bioactive materials including conversion of Australian corals to hydroxyapatite), bio-composites, biomechanics (jaw bone, knee and hip joints), reliability and implant design (modular zirconia ceramic knee prosthesis, femoral head and taper stresses and bionic eye).
I have expertise in zirconia and hydroxyapatite ceramics, transformations and measurement of micro-mechanical stresses in bioceramics.
Ph. D. (UNSW) 1988
M.Sc. (UNSW, Ceramic Engineering) 1981
M.Sc. (ITU, Metallurgical Engineering) 1968
B.Sc. (ITU, Metallurgical Engineering) 1967
1. Chai C.S. and Ben-Nissan B., "Bioactive Nanocrystalline Sol-Gel Hydroxyapatite Coatings", J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. in Med., 10, 465-69 (1999)
2. Lutton P. and Ben-Nissan B., "The Status of Biomaterials for Othopaedic and Dental Applications: Part II- Bioceramics in Orthopaedic and Dental Applications", Mater. Tech., 12(3-4), 107-111 (1997).
3. Gan L. and Ben-Nissan B., "The Effect of Mechanical Properties of Thin Films on Nano-Indentation Data: Finite Elemnt Analysis", Comp. Mater. Sci., 8, 273-81 (1997).
4. Payten W.M. and Ben-Nissan B., "The Development of a Modular Ceramic Knee Prosthesis", Biomaterials Engineering and Devices: Human Applications (eds) Wise D.L et al., Vol. 2, Part III, Humana Press Inc., pp. 309-35, (2000)
5. Ben-Nissan, Chai C. and Evans L., "Crystallographic and Spectroscopic Characterisation and Morphology of Biogenic and Synthetic Apatities", Encyclopaedic Handbook of Biomaterials and Bioengineering, Part B; Applications, (eds) Wise D.L. et al, Marcel Dekker, N.Y., pp. 191-221, (1995)
Professional Institution Membership
The Institution of Engineers, Australia (1990-)
The Australian Society for Biomaterials (1990-)
Society for Biomaterials (1989-1995)
ASM International (1987-1995)
The American Ceramic Society (1978-)
The Australasian Ceramic Society (1977-)
American Society for the Advancement of Science (1998-)
Institute of Metals and Materials, Australasia (1976-)
NY Academy of Sciences (1999-2001)
International Society for Ceramics In Medicine (1998-)
Significant Employment History
Associate Professor - UTS (2000-)
Senior Lecturer - UTS (1988-1999)
Lecturer - NSW Institute of Technology (NSWIT) (1981-1988)
Assistant Lecturer - NSWIT (1976-1978)
Tutor - NSWIT (1971-76)
Research Metallurgist - Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Institute of Metals, Israel, Haifa (1969-1971)
Assistant Lecturer, Technion Institute of Technology, Department of Materials Engineering, Haifa (1969-1971)
Metallurgist, Vulcan, Steel and Cast Iron Foundry, Hafia (1968-1969)
Materials consulting services
Fee Charging structure and rates
To be negotiated between client and UTS.
Availability and preferred contact route
Please contact by e-mail
Current availability status