The CATLAB-FB from Hiden is an integrated furnace and mass spectrometer system designed for the analysis of catalyst core specimens at temperatures up to 1000 °C. The system has multi-stream gas/vapor flow control and mass spectral analysis of both downstream and feed gases.
The furnace houses a horizontal quartz reactor tube with in-bed thermocouple for peak thermal precision, a uniform central hot-zone of 150 mm and a standard internal diameter of 26 mm. The furnace is programmable from 50 °C to 1000 °C at a fastest ramp rate of 20 °C/minute. The system is designed with a capacity for up to 12 mass flow controlled gas streams, selectable with flow rates from 0.1-10 L/minute and for operation with harsh feed gases.
The system options also include a pulse chemisorption (PCS) mode for injection of sorbates to the reactor, and a vapor feed system to allow vapor reaction characterization in both continuous and PCS flow modes. All the system elements are programmable from the in-built control program together with mass spectrometer data acquisition, data display and data interpretation.
It is also possible for a customer supplied furnace to be integrated into the CATLAB-FB set-up.
The main applications of the CATLAB-FB are given below:
- Pulse chemisorption
- Dispersion measurements
- Catalyst screening
- Reaction studies
- Adsorption isotherms
The main features of the CATLAB-FB are listed below:
- Quick response, low thermal mass furnace with in-built air-cooling
- 1-20 °C /minute heating rates up to 1000 °C
- Close-coupled hotzone evolved species probe & direct QIC inlet for <500 ms response
- Hiden’s unique interchangeable Catalyst Cartridge System
- ‘In-Bed’ thermocouple for direct catalyst temperature measurement
- Automatic 2-4 (8 optional) gas stream manifold or combined gas / vapor manifold
- Air thermostat and trace heating to reduce condensation of liquid feeds / products
- Independent Mass Flow control of each channel at 3-100 ml/minute (other flow options available)
- Seamless on-line, real-time studies with data acquisition and PC analysis
- Shut-off / bypass flow configuration to seal reactor and gas sampling port
- Corrosion resistant manifold configurations also available
The Hiden CATLAB offers a range of fully automated, dynamic, temperature programmed, pulse chemisorption and isothermal methods. The template driven CATLAB software offers automatic control of gas composition and delivery, temperature ramp and set-point as well as complete mass spectrometer parameter controls, which is a true first for the catalyst researcher. The standard system has 0-200 amu ability with options extending this to 1000 amu.
Microreactor with Integrated Mass Spectrometer for Catalysis Studies | The CATLAB | Hiden Analytical