Allegheny Technologies Incorporated (NYSE: ATI) announced that it has selected Siemens VAI Metals Technologies (Siemens Industry, Inc.) to design, engineer, and supply the hot-rolling mill for ATI Allegheny Ludlum’s Brackenridge, PA new advanced specialty metals hot-rolling and processing facility.
As previously announced, the total cost of the facility, including the hot-rolling mill, is estimated to be approximately $1.16 billion and will take approximately four years to complete. The new facility is designed to produce ATI’s flat-rolled titanium and titanium alloys, nickel-based alloys and specialty alloys, grain-oriented electrical steel, zirconium alloys, and stainless alloys for sheet, strip, Precision Rolled Strip® products, and continuous-mill plate product forms.
“The Siemens VAI next-generation totally integrated hot-rolling mill is the critical part of ATI’s new hot-rolling and processing facility. We believe our new facility will provide unsurpassed manufacturing capability and versatility in the production of our unique range of flat-rolled mission critical specialty metals. It also provides the capability to manufacture advanced new alloys that we currently do not produce,” said L. Patrick Hassey, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer. “We expect our new hot-rolling and processing facility to further transform our Flat-Rolled Products segment’s operating performance across business cycles by significantly improving our cost structure and expanding our position in key markets through new capabilities, faster throughput, improved productivity, and higher quality.”
Werner Auer, CEO of Siemens VAI Metals Technologies added, “This is an outstanding opportunity for Siemens VAI to work with ATI on this next-generation totally integrated hot-rolling mill. We know of no other facility like this one in the world. We believe this is the most powerful and most technically advanced hot-rolling mill ever built.”
Pat Hassey continued, “Our strategy is to invest in the best equipment in the world. It requires our specialty metals technology and proprietary knowledge to run this equipment effectively. Further, we believe in U.S. manufacturing and believe a U.S. manufacturer can compete profitably in the global economy. To do so, ATI must have unsurpassed manufacturing capabilities and innovative new products that differentiate our Company in the global marketplace.”
Key facts on the Advanced Specialty Metals Hot Rolling and Processing Facility:
- Unique alloy versatility – Common facility to produce hot bands for titanium and titanium alloys, nickel-based corrosion and high temperature alloys, zirconium alloys, super and duplex stainless alloys, grain-oriented electrical steel, and austenitic, ferritic, and martensitic stainless alloys
- Product Capability – Hot bands capable to produce finished product up to 78.62 inches, or 2 meters
- Facility Design – 88 ½ inches, or 2250 millimeters, hot rolling system with continuous variable crown system and a 7-stand, 4-high finishing mill
- Power – Separating force over 3 times current capability
- Product Processing and Handling – Advanced walking beam furnace, laminar cooling, and slab and plate handling
- Automation – Fully automated facility providing safe working environment with best available controls technology and increased productivity
- Environment-Friendly – Utilizes the best available technology in all areas.