The 3542RA averaging axial extensometers from Epsilon are manufactured for conducting compressive strength tests on concrete, rock, and other large compression samples.
These extensometers are capable of measuring axial strain on opposite sides of the test specimen, and the result is an average of the two readings.
Epsilon offers gauge lengths from 1 to 8 in (25 to 200mm) and measuring ranges from 0.05 to 0.25 in (1.2 to 6mm) for customers.
The 3542RA extensometers are strain gaged devices, therefore making them suitable for use with any electronics designed for strain gaged transducers.
The 3542RA is offered with numerous configurations, and all versions are self-supporting on the specimen and can be mounted in a simple manner.
In tests where a single diameter specimen is generally used, the fixed diameter 3542RA1 is should be used. Likewise, for applications where a continuously adjustable diameter extensometer is needed, the 3542RA2 should be the ideal choice.
The basic configuration for these extensometers allows them to be used on samples from 2in to 6in (50 to 150mm). It is possible to provide two independent readings with two outputs. Several rock tests are performed using tri-axial pressure vessels.
Epsilon offers some versions for use in oil to 1360bar at 200°C (20,000psi at 400°F). These are capable of fitting inside very small diameter vessels. In the case of small diameter specimens, Epsilon recommends the 3442RA1 averaging axial extensometer.
All 3542RA extensometers are constructed to be able to work along with the 3544 circumferential extensometer or the 3975 diametral extensometer. The rock extensometers can handle the rigors of daily, high volume testing. The conical point contacts in the extensometer are made from tungsten carbide.
The 3542RA averaging axial extensometers can be often connected to a test machine controller. The signal conditioning electronics needed for the extensometer is basically included with the test machine controller or can be added.
In this case, the extensometer is delivered with quality connector and wiring to allow direct plugging into the electronics. In case certain systems do not have the needed electronics, Epsilon can provide many solutions, thereby allowing the extensometer output to be connected to chart recorders, data acquisition boards, or other equipment.
The main features of the 3542RA averaging axial extensometers include:
- Full bridge, 350Ω strain gaged design for compatibility with almost any test unit
- High precision, averaging output or optional dual independent outputs
- All basic units comply with existing ASTM class B-1 and ISO 9513, class 0,5 requirements for precision
- Sturdy, dual flexure design for strength and enhanced performance
- High quality foam lined case is provided
- Easy mounting and can be attached using integral springs
- Self-supporting on the specimen
- Can be used simultaneously with 3975 diametral extensometer or 3544 circumferential extensometers
- The 3542RA1 version is configured for a single diameter size based on customer specification, and the 3542RA2 version works on sample diameters from 2in to 6in (50mm to 150mm)
Epsilon MODEL 3542RA Averaging Axial Extensometers
Model 3542RA2 Dual Averaging Rock and Concrete Extensometer
Model 3542RA1 Extensometer with 50MM gauge length
Model 3542RA1 extensometer
Different Types of Model 3542RA
The 3542RA averaging axial extensometers are available in any combination of gauge length, measuring range, and temperature range listed below. The company requires test specimen diameter(s) to be specified when the order is placed. Other configurations will also be considered.