The 3442 Miniature Axial Extensometers are small profile and ultra-light weight, they are suitable for testing small and delicate samples yet rugged enough for repeated use on standard specimens. Ideal for sheet materials, wire specimens, and standard ISO or ASTM specimen geometries, and they are excellent for low and high cycle fatigue testing.
- Epsilon extensometers are compatible with virtually every brand of test equipment and can be supplied with the correct connector to plug in directly, or supplied with an independent conditioner and amplifier
- All Epsilon’s extensometers are verified to applicable standards such as ASTM E83 or ISO 9513 using in-house calibration systems that are calibrated using Epsilon’s laser interferometer system
- With epsilon’s 20+ year history of service, the materials testing community will benefit from the company’s products when their critical application requires it
Weighing as little as 8 g, these minature extensometers are designed to have very low operating force with minimum specimen influence. All use an enhanced version of Epsilon’s dual flexure design, making them very rugged for their size.
With a module height of 15.2 mm (0.6”), they can fit in the limited space between grips that is typical with small test samples. Gauge lengths can be as long as 50 mm or as short as 3 mm. A newly designed gage setting pin and assembly allows the gauge length to be fixed accurately and repeatably to ISO and ASTM requirements for all gauge lengths.
Re-engineered quick attach wire forms provide simple and safe specimen attachment. Wire forms for flat and round specimens are provided, as well as flat, 3-point, and vee knife edges. The wire forms can be removed to enable mounting using springs or elastic bands. A tethering attachment point enables counterbalancing of the extensometer’s weight when testing delicate specimens, and provides fall protection.
Model 3442 extensometers are strain gaged devices, making them compatible with any electronics designed for strain gaged transducers. Most frequently they are connected to a test machine controller and Epsilon will provide the extensometer with a compatible connector wired to plug directly into the controller.
For systems that do not have the required electronics, Epsilon can offer a number of solutions for signal conditioning and connection to chart recorders, data acquisition systems, or other equipment.
The main features of the 3442 Miniature Axial Extensometers are as follows:
- Can be left on through specimen failure
- Gauge length pin helps set gauge length accurately for all gauge length configurations
- All models are designed to measure in both compression and tension and can be used for cyclic testing
- Mechanical overtravel stops in both directions
- Rugged, dual flexure design for strength and enhanced performance. Much stronger than single flexure designs, allowing cyclic testing at higher frequencies
- Standard units comply with ASTM class B-1 requirements for accuracy. A test certificate is provided. ISO 9513 class 0,5 test certificates can be procured upon request
- Gauge length adapter kits facilitate configuration of varied gauge lengths with one extensometer
- Replaceable spacers and arms for ease of repair
- Low and high temperature options extend operation from as low as -265 °C (-450 °F) to +200 °C (400 °F)
- Full bridge, 350 ohm strain gaged design for compatibility with virtually any test system
- High quality foam lined case is provided
The main specifications of the 3442 Miniature Axial Extensometers are as follows:
- Excitation: 5 to 10 VDC recommended, 12 VDC or VAC max.
- Linearity: ≤0.15% of full scale measuring range
- Output: 2 to 4 mV/V nominal, depending on model
- Temperature range: Standard (-ST) is -40 °C to +100 °C (-40 °F to 210 °F)
- Operating force: 10 to 20 g typical
- Standard quick attach kit: Fits round samples up to 13 mm (0.5”) diameter and flats up to 13 mm thick by 15 mm wide (0.5” x 0.6”); attach to larger specimens using rubber bands or springs (included)
- Cable: Integral, ultra-flexible cable, 2.5 m (8 ft) standard
The options for the 3442 Miniature Axial Extensometers are as follows:
- Adapter kits to change gauge lengths
- Special coatings and stainless steel knife edges available for biomedical tests
- Connectors to interface to nearly any brand test equipment
- Specialty knife edges
- Shunt calibration
3442 Miniature Axial Extensometers for Testing Small and Delicate Samples