Epsilon MODEL 3542 axial extensometers are general purpose instruments suited for compression, axial tensile and cyclic testing.
The model features 5% to 100% strain measuring ranges and gauge lengths from 0.5 to 2 inches (and 10 to 80mm).
These extensometers have been developed for testing different materials including plastics, metals, ceramics and composites. All these instruments work in both compression and tension.
They are highly rugged and insensitive to vibrations, thanks to the dual flexure design, enabling operations at higher frequencies.
A quick attach kit from Epsilon comes standard along with the instrument, enabling rapid mounting of the extensometer on the test specimen easily with one hand. It is possible to remove the quick attach kit enabling extensometer mounting with rubber bands or springs.
These extensometers are strain gaged devices rendering them compatible with any electronics developed for strain gaged transducers.
They are mostly connected to a test machine controller. The extensometer’s signal conditioning electronics is normally included with the test machine controller or may be added.
The extensometer in this case is shipped with the appropriate wiring and connector for direct plugging into the electronics. Epsilon offers a range of solutions, enabling connection of the extensometer output to chart recorders, data acquisition boards or other equipment.
The key features of the Epsilon MODEL 3542 include:
- The full bridge, 350Ù strain gaged design ensures compatibility with almost any test system.
- All models can be used for cyclic testing and can measure in both tension and compression
- In both directions, mechanical overtravel stops occur
- For overtravel protection, cable stops are used wherever required. The cable stops are fully contained between the extensometer arms and do not hang below where they can interfere with fixturing, especially at the time of compression testing.
- Standard units satisfy existing ASTM class B-1 and ISO 9513, class 0,5 requirements for accuracy.
- Easy replacement of hardened tool steel knife edges is possible. With every extensometer, a spare set is provided.
- High and low temperature options extend operation from as low as -265°C (-450 °F) to +200 °C (400 °F).
- A high quality foam lined case is included
- Replaceable spacers and arms for ease of repair – this also enables changing the gauge length for different test requirements
- A robust, dual flexure design for strength and improved performance – It is much stronger than single flexure designs and enables cyclic testing at higher frequencies
- Standard quick attach kit enables one hand mounting to specimens
The options provided include:
- Quick attach kit wire forms for large specimens
- Adapter kits to change gauge lengths
- Connectors to interface to nearly any brand test equipment
- Special coatings and stainless steel knife edges available for biomedical tests
Epsilon MODEL 3542 Axial Extensometers
Model 3542 with 25 mm gauge length
3542 configured for a very large specimen diameter
Model 3542 with 0.5 inch gauge length and ±25% measuring range
Model 3542 with 25 mm gauge length and ±10% measuring range