The 3800 High Elongation Extensometers are designed for rubber, plastics, and elastomer testing. These extensometers have extended measuring ranges, and their unique design enables testing to failure and reduces interaction with the sample.
- Epsilon extensometers are compatible with virtually every brand of test equipment and can be supplied with the correct connector to plug in directly, or supplied with an independent conditioner and amplifier
- With 20+ year history of service to the materials testing community, Epsilon will stand behind their products when users critical application requires it.
- There are 36 extensometer models available in many thousands of variations. The company’s focus is to help customers, which has led to the development of models to cover almost any test process
The main body of this unique extensometer remains stationary while testing, held in position by the adjustable magnetic base that is provided. As the sample elongates during a test, only the very light, small traveling heads move. Small spring clips are used to attach these to the sample. Each head pulls a cord out from the extensometer when the head moves.
These models use high precision, low friction potentiometers, and therefore, have a broad range of factory selectable outputs. The extensometer is operated by an excitation voltage and has output proportional to the input. They can be provided with high level outputs (about 2 - 8 VDC) or ones that imitate strain gaged devices (2 - 4 mV/V).
When set to imitate strain gaged extensometers, the Model 3800 can be used with almost any signal conditioning electronics designed for strain gaged sensors. The potentiometers use a hybrid wire wound around conductive plastic, which offers superior long term stability. The output from the extensometer is easily interfaced with a majority of current test controllers, and may be directly input to chart recorders and data acquisition systems.
The main features of the 3800 High Elongation Extensometers are as follows:
- Can be left on through specimen failure
- The main body is stationary with just the lightweight traveling heads moving
- Large measuring range to 500 mm (20”)
- Provided with a modifiable magnetic base for easy mounting
- High quality foam lined case is provided
- Economical, high accuracy elastomer strain measurement
The main specifications of the 3800 High Elongation Extensometers are as follows:
- Excitation: 5 to 10 VDC recommended, 12 VDC or VAC max
- Output: Either 2 to 8 VDC, depending on model (at 10 VDC input) or 2 to 4 mV/V, nominal, selectable at time of order
- Resolution: 0.18 mm (0.007”) for all measuring ranges
- Linearity: 0.15% of full scale measuring range
- Temperature range: -40 °C to 100 °C (-40 °F to 210 °F)
- Operating force: 20 grams typical, each head
- Cable: Integral, ultra-flexible cable, 2.5 m (8 ft) standard
The options for the 3800 High Elongation Extensometers are as follows:
- Can be provided with either:
- High level outputs (about 2 - 8 VDC)
- Output that imitates strain gaged devices (2 - 4 mV/V nominal)
- 2 mV/V output for use with electronics built for strain gaged sensors.
3800 High Elongation Extensometers for Plastics, Rubber and Elastomer Testing