Long gauge length extensometers have gauge lengths of 100 mm (4") or greater for compression and tensile testing. The units are specifically designed for long gauge length applications that require low-level strain measurements.
The 3542L long gauge length axial extensometers feature a dual flexure design that makes them rugged and insensitive to vibrations. They are designed for testing a wide variety of materials including ceramics, metals, plastics, and composites. Epsilon’s Model 3543 is usually recommended for applications that require larger measuring ranges and long gauge lengths.
The Model 3542L is equipped with Epsilon’s quick attach kit that enables the extensometer to be mounted on the test specimen. The quick attach kit can be removed, enabling the extensometer to be mounted on the specimen with rubber bands and springs.
As the 3542L extensometers are strain gaged devices, they can be used with any type of electronics meant for strain gaged transducers. These extensometers are often connected to a test machine controller. The signal conditioning electronics for the extensometer are typically included with the test machine controller or they may be added.
In this case, the extensometer is delivered with the correct connector and wiring so that it can be directly plugged into the electronics. Epsilon can provide a range of solutions for systems that lack the required electronics, enabling the extensometer output to be connected to the chart recorders, data acquisition boards, or other devices.
Epsilon extensometers are compatible with virtually every brand of test equipment and can be supplied with the proper connector to plug in directly, or delivered with a separate conditioner and amplifier.
Operation of these, and other extensometers from Epsilon, are verified to applicable standards such as ISO 9513 or ASTM E83 using internal calibration systems that are calibrated with Epsilon’s laser interferometer system.
With more than 20 years of service to the materials testing community, Epsilon stands behind its products to meet the critical application requirements of users.
The key features of the 3542L long gauge length axial extensometers are as follows:
- Full bridge, 350 ohm strain gaged design provides compatibility with nearly any test system
- Standard quick attach kit enables quick mounting to specimens
- Rugged, dual flexure design for strength and improved performance. Much stronger than single flexure designs, this also enables cyclic testing at higher frequencies
- All models can measure in both compression and tension, and can be used for cyclic testing
- Mechanical overtravel stops in both directions
- Replaceable arms and spacers for ease of repair. This also enables changing the gauge length for various test requirements
- Low and high temperature options extend process from as low as -265 °C (-450 °F) to +200 °C (400 °F)
- Hardened tool steel knife edges can be easily replaced. A spare set comes with every extensometer
- May be left on through specimen failure
- Includes high-quality, foam-lined case
- Standard units meet the requirements of ASTM class B-1 for accuracy. A test certificate is included. ISO 9513 class 0,5 test certificates are available on request
The main specifications of the 3542L long gauge length axial extensometers are as follows:
- Output: 2 to 4 mV/V, nominal, depending on model
- Linearity: ≤0.15% of full scale measuring range
- Excitation: 5 to 10 VDC recommended, 12 VDC or VAC max.
- Temperature Range: Standard (-ST) is -40 °C to +100 °C (-40 °F to 210 °F)
- Operating Force: Depends on model configuration, less than 30 g typically
- Standard Quick Attach Kit: Fits round samples up to 25 mm (1.0") diameter and flats to 12 mm thick by 31 mm wide (0.5" by 1.25")
- Cable: Integral, ultra-flexible cable, 2.5 m (8 ft) standard
The following options are available with the 3542L long gauge length axial extensometers:
- Quick attach kit wireforms for large specimens
- Connectors to interface to nearly any brand test equipment
- Specialty Knife Edges
- Special coatings and stainless steel knife edges available for biomedical tests.
- Adapter kits to change gauge lengths
- Shunt Calibration
3542L Long Gauge Length Axial Extensometers for Compression Testing