The 4013 Averaging Extensometers from Epsilon are designed specifically for performing tests in compliance with ASTM D5656, standard test method for thick-adherend metal lap-shear joints for determination of the stress-strain behavior of adhesives in shear by tension loading. The deformation is measured on either sides of the test specimen and the output is an average of the two readings.
Epsilon extensometers are compatible with almost every brand of test equipment and can be supplied with the right connector to plug in directly, or supplied with a separate amplifier and conditioner.
Epsilon has 20+ years history of service for the materials testing community and will be there to stand behind their products when the user’s critical application requires it.
Epsilon provide 36 Extensometer Models in thousands of variations and their focus on helping customers has led to the development of models to cover virtually any test method.
The Model 4013 extensometer complies with the standards of ASTM D5656 for measuring the strain properties of an adhesive in shear. It uses a variety of contact point spacing compared to the extensometer shown in D5656. This makes it much simpler to mount and removes the slippage issues associated with the design shown in D5656.
The Model 4013 is available with all of Epsilon’s temperature configurations. It has a 3 mm (0.12”) full scale measuring range. The conical point contacts included with the extensometer are produced using tungsten carbide.
The 4013 extensometers are strain gaged devices, making them compatible with all electronics engineered for strain gaged transducers. They are often connected to a test machine controller. The signal conditioning electronics for the extensometer is usually included with the test machine controller or may often be added.
In this case, the extensometer is supplied with the proper wiring and connector to plug directly into the electronics. Epsilon can offer several solutions if systems lack the required electronics, allowing the extensometer output to be connected to chart recorders, data acquisition boards, or other equipment.
The key features of the 4013 Averaging Extensometers are as follows:
- Rugged, dual flexure design for better performance
- Easy mounting, attaches with an integral spring
- Full bridge, 350 ohm strain gaged design for compatibility with nearly any test system
- High accuracy, averaging output (optional dual independent outputs)
- All standard units have linearity readings of 0.20% or better
- High quality foam lined case is provided
The key specifications of the 4013 Averaging Extensometers are as follows:
- Accuracy: Meets the accuracy requirements of ASTM D5656
- Excitation: 5 to 10 VDC recommended, 12 VDC or VAC max.
- Output: 2 to 4 mV/V, nominal, depending on model
- Cable: Integral, ultra-flexible cable, 2.5 m (8 ft) standard
- Temperature range: Standard (-ST) is -40 °C to +100 °C (-40 °F to 210 °F)
The following are the options available with the 4013 Averaging Extensometers:
- Shunt calibration
- Connectors to interface to nearly any brand test equipment
4013 Averaging Extensometers for ASTM D5656 Shear Tests