The Model 3648 extensometer is designed for use with split type materials testing furnaces or induction heaters in low strain applications. It has a low specimen contact force and a high temperature option with a water cooling function which allows the use of extensometer at 1200°C (2200°F) standard or 1600°C (2900°F).
The combination of innovative design and a high temperature capacitive sensor enables the extensometers to achieve precise strain measurements in low measuring ranges which could be impossible with their counterparts.
The extensometers are mounted using a slide bracket which can be fixed to the load frame of the test system. In addition, optional load frame mounting brackets can also be provided with the extensometer.
The standard temperature version is provided with high purity alumina rods, and the alpha grade silicon carbide rods support high temperature option. The rods are fabricated based on the length of the furnace.
The Model 3648 extensometer are available with the Model 3603 signal conditioner. The output is in the form of an analog DC voltage that is factory calibrated to 0 to ±10 VDC.
These extensometers can be instantly integrated with many test controllers and directly linked to chart recorders and data acquisition systems. The application of the extensometer can be extended to strain controlled measurements like low cycle fatigue tests by providing the signal to a spare DC input channel on the test controller.
Model 3648 Available Versions
The Model 3648 extensometer comes with different gauge lengths and measuring ranges as shown below:
The main features of the Model 3648 extensometers include:
- High quality foam lined case
- Spare set of ceramic rods
- Mechanical overtravel stops in both directions
- All models perform measurement of both compression and tension
- Standard units satisfy the demands of existing ASTM class B-1 and ISO 9513, class 0,5 to achieve accuracy
- Innovative slide mount enables easy sample engagement after achieving test temperature
- Low strain range, high resolution versions available
- Fully calibrated electronics with user specified voltage output
- May be left on through specimen failure
- Capacitive signal conditioner and power supply available
- High level DC voltage output
- Low noise
- Easy to interfaced to test controllers, data acquisition boards and chart recorders
- Designed for applications requiring ±0.10 inches (±2.5 mm) full scale measuring range or less, or even for greater measuring range
Epsilon MODEL 3648 High Temperature, Low Strain Capacitive Extensometers
Model 3648 mounted to an extensometer calibrator
Model 3648 with 1 inch gauge length
Model 3648 gauge length setting mechanism