The SmartLab SE is a highly versatile multipurpose X-ray diffractometer with built-in intelligent guidance that offers users with continued refinement of the original features that were featured in the initial SmartLab product. In fact, in 2006, the SmartLab received the R&D 100 Award in automatic alignment, component recognition, cross beam optics, and advanced photon counting hybrid pixel array detectors (HPAD).
Guidance Expert System
SmartLab Studio II incorporates a built-in Guidance expert system that suggests the optimal hardware configuration and settings required for specific application measurements. This software determines the optics that are most appropriate for a given application followed by adjusting the instrument settings to execute the measurement and deliver a completely automated measurement sequence. Since the SmartLab SE is equipped with a built-in component recognition system, Guidance will both provide the confirmation details as well as a warning to the user if the system has not been calibrated correctly. The foundation of the SmartLab SE platform is, therefore, a combination of both precise hardware and expert advice to ensure the correct configuration of the system.
HyPix-400: The Next Generation 2D Detector
Rigaku’s HyPix-400 is a semiconductor hybrid pixel array detector that is specifically designed for multipurpose X-ray diffractometers. Its large active area, high angular resolution, and ultra-high dynamic range make it an ideal and affordable 2D detector solution for a large variety of applications such as powder and thin film diffraction procedures. Note that the D/teX Ultra 250 silicon strip detector is also available as a standard detector choice if desired.
Automatic Alignment for Maximum Uptime
Changing hardware configurations or consumables for some diffractometers will often require a service engineer by the supplier to complete, which can be both a costly and time-consuming task. The optics configuration on the SmartLab SE is again an ideal tool, as its ability to self-align all components ranging from the tube height to the monochromator in an automatic manner that is completely under the control of the computer. This feature drastically reduces downtime of the system, as well as the overall cost that is associated with ownership of the instrument.
- SmartLab Studio II software based on a new architecturally integrated modular platform
- Crossbeam optics module switches between Bragg-Brentano and parallel beam without requiring optics to be changed
- HyPix-400 2D detector enables a seamless switch between 0D, 1D, and 2D detection modes, depending on the specific type of application
- The D/teX Ultra 250 1D detector accelerates powder diffraction by a factor of 250 in speed, while also providing an adjustable energy resolution of approximately 20% or 4%, depending on specific type of sample.
- Integrated intelligent Guidance software enables fully automated measurement that includes alignment of both optics and the sample.
- Self-aligned optics maximize the uptime of the instrument and minimize the overall cost of ownership of the instrument
Rigaku SmartLab SE Multipurpose X-ray diffraction system with built-in intelligent guidance
Multipurpose X-Ray Diffractometer - SmartLab SE