Pattern Region of Interest Analysis System (PRIAS) ™ is a new synergistic approach that is capable of being used for imaging and visualizing the microstructural features of materials. This novel system uses the Electron Backscatter Diffraction (EBSD) detectors to capture and index EBSD patterns and as an array of positional electron detectors for sample imaging. It is possible to generate and display multiple images simultaneously presenting orientation, atomic number, and topographic contrasts by synchronously imaging from up to 25 detector regions of interest (ROIs).
Additional arithmetic processing of this array of images permits unprecedented analysis and visualization of material microstructure and the suppression, enhancement, or isolation of, particularly significant contrast mechanisms.
Optimal EBSD pattern collection needs a well-tilted sample and a well-polished surface, which makes conventional SEM imaging challenging because Secondary Electron (SE) and Backscattered Electron (BSE) detectors are not optimally placed for imaging a tilted sample.
A Forward Scatter Detector (FSD) system can be used to improve imaging capability, but the information in the electrons scattered from the sample can be completely utilized with the help of multiple detectors or multiple exposures from a single variably-positioned detector. It is necessary to position these detectors away from the maximum signal surrounding the perimeter of the EBSD phosphor screen.
PRIAS™ eliminates the requirement of extra hardware and also of pre-selection or positioning of detectors by imaging all detectors in a simultaneous manner to capture a set of images with optimal contrast.
The main features of PRIAS™ include:
Synchronous image collection from all ROI detectors
- Rapid and easy selection of the optimum image for sample visualization
PRIAS ™ Live Mode
- Dedicated mode for rapid microstructural imaging
- Available only with the Hikari EBSD Camera Series
- 25 stable ROI detectors
PRIAS ™ Collection Mode
- User input not required for the collection
- Direct correlation with phase, chemical, and orientation data
- PRIAS ™ imaging data automatically and simultaneously collected with TEAMTM EBSD mapping data
- Preset ROIs for topographic, orientation and atomic number contrast imaging
PRIAS ™ Analysis Mode
- Completely flexible positioning of ROI detectors
- Imaging generated from EBSD patterns that have been saved
- Direct correlation with chemical, orientation, and phase data
Arithmetic Image Processing
- Simultaneous processing of different images to collect maximum information
RGB Image Coloring
- Develops rapid microstructural image in lieu of complete OIM image
- Any ROI image can be allocated with Blue, Green, or Red color channels
Automated Detector and Imaging Setup
- Time is saved by preventing the need to manually alter brightness and contrast for each image
- TEAM™ Smart Camera Optimization allows setting up Hikari camera for rapid PRIAS ™ live imaging
The key applications of PRIAS™ include:
- Conventional EBSD material such as minerals, semiconductors, ceramics, and metals
- A new analysis of metals and plastic
The PRIAS™ imaging approach enhances the efficiency of the TEAMTM EBSD system by utilizing the EBSD camera as both an array of positional electron detectors and an EBSD detector. This approach offers unprecedented flexibility in microstructural imaging, and also enables users to obtain fresh insights into the material analysis.