The critical advancements in the Octane Elite EDS System with Octane Elite Silicon Drift Detector (SDDs) take Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS) analysis to a whole new level. This EDAX system includes detectors which are comprised of a silicon nitride (Si3N4) window, offering extraordinary improvements in low energy sensitivity for low kV microanalysis and light element detection. The Octane Elite detectors also use technology, which produces high speed X-ray data processing within a smaller and completely vacuum encapsulated detector device.
Octane Elite Silicon Drift Detectors
The Octane Elite SDDs comprised of a silicon nitride (Si3N4) window, a motorized slide and high- speed electronics. They can be integrated with one of EDAX's Electron Backscatter Diffraction (EBSD) cameras and/or Wavelength Dispersive Spectrometry (WDS) detectors as part of the Trident EDS-EBSD-WDS Analysis System or Pegasus EDS-EBSD Analysis System for a complete materials characterization solution.
There are two models of the Octane Elite SDDs:
- Octane Elite Plus - 30 mm2 chip
- Octane Elite Super - 70 mm2 chip
Best Light Element Performance
Compared to a polymer window, the silicon nitride window provides big improvements, leading to greatly enhanced light element performance and considerably more critical data for the analyst.
The silicon nitride window provides excellent low energy transmission compared to a polymer window.
Spectra acquired from a chromium nitride sample at 10 kV. The comparison of the scaled spectra to the Cr K peak clearly shows the increased nitrogen and oxygen peak intensities achieved with a Si3N4 window.
The key benefits of the Octane Elite SDDs are given below:
Low kV Performance
- The mechanical properties of Si3N4 allow the use of thinly fabricated windows, providing immense benefit in terms of optimal low voltage analysis and sensitivity.
Optimized SDD Electronics
- Quick pulse processing from mapping and quantification
- High-resolution quantitative analysis at mapping speeds more than 400,000 output cps
- Optimized data quality at all count rates
- EDAX EDS systems with latest detection electronics provide the highest throughput count rates on the market for the best possible analysis and enhanced productivity
- The durability and material properties of Si3N4 ensure that the most sturdy and reliable detectors are available for all EDS applications
- The motorized slide on the Octane Elite SDDs provides maximum control of the detector via the software and is optimal for analytical flexibility. It is suitable for all Focused Ion Beam (FIB) systems
EDS Analysis Software allows users to optimize their analysis time and get the best possible data from their sample
- Smart Pulse Pile-Up Correction decreases concerns characteristic of high count rate collections and allows maximum use of SDD technology
- Smart Diagnostics and Smart Acquisition enable optimized collection and analysis conditions