Lithium-ion has become the preferred battery chemistry for hybrid and electric vehicles. But the production of these batteries is a complex and costly operation.
Thermo Scientific™ LInspector Measurement and Control System meets the requirement for precise multilayer thickness measurement of separator films, electrode calendering thickness measurement and electrode coating weight measurement.
The LInspector Measurement and Control System has a combination of sensor precision and reporting abilities that enhance the consistency and safety of lithium-ion batteries and guarantees efficient production of reliable and high-quality products.
It is the newest addition to the large range of Thermo Scientific gauging solutions and has been developed particularly for the various processes needed in the manufacture of electrode and separator products used in lithium-ion batteries.
The latest sensor technology is at the core of the LInspector Measurement and Control System with the integration of Thermo Scientific beta, X-ray and laser sensor devices. Analytics and reporting abilities, like shift, roll, and production reports, zoom displays, defect mapping, SPC/QC control charts, and 3D profile displays also help maintain in-spec production and decrease the threat of non-uniformity and other downstream battery production problems.
The LInspector Measurement and Control System meets the requirement for precise measurement in all stages of production of lithium-ion battery electrode and separator film products.
The latest mapping strategies are provided for separator film thickness control in dry and wet processes. Proprietary methods for high-speed direct thickness measurement of strip, continuous, or patch coatings are also provided for electrode coating, while confocal technology provides unparalleled precision and resolution for electrode calendering applications.
This combination of innovative methods, sensor precision and reporting abilities offers manufacturers an unprecedented single source, end-to-end measurement and control solution for all their constant web battery components, allowing them to provide best-in-class lithium-ion battery products.
- Specialized application packages are available for electrode calendering, electrode coating and separator film
- Automatic cast shape target calculation
- Comes in both dry and wet separator film processes
- SameSpot sensor head synchronization ensures excellent differential coat weight measurement
- Combined mass balance mapping for excellent Automatic Profile Control of separator film
- Suitable for strip, patch or continuous coatings
- Coat weight and calender thickness control available
The LInspector Measurement and Control System includes one or more scanner(s), sensor(s) and a control system (as relevant) customized to the application:
- Separator film: Thermo Scientific X-Ray Master Direct Thickness Sensor or Thermo Scientific MKIII Scanner and Thermo Scientific Beta Plus Basis Weight
- Electrode calendering: Thermo Scientific INTEGRA C-Frame Scanner with Dual Laser Sensor
- Electrode coating: Thermo Scientific INTEGRA O-Frame Scanner and Beta Plus Basis Weight or X-Ray Master Direct Thickness Sensor
- Dell OptiPlex XE3 Pc
- Wonderware Intouch Visualization Software Version 14 R2