The ORTEC Möbius Recycler technology provides “tried and tested” LN cooling of a radiation detector in a system where LN2 needs refilling approximately once every other year under continuous, normal operating conditions. This is accomplished by the incorporation of the Sunpower® cryocooler and a custom designed 28 liter liquid nitrogen dewar.
An exceptional strategy is provided by the Möbius Recycler for managing counting laboratories which have periodic power failures. A “smart” cooler controller senses when the Möbius is working on an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) and then automatically disables the cryocooler in order to minimize the power drain. This feature permits extended system operation when using UPS systems with a smaller capacity.
Regardless of mains power loss, the predictive “time to empty” LN2 level monitor provides status. Even though the laboratory may be in the dark, the user will not be, when it comes to knowing “time to empty” of the LN2 dewar.
Möbius is now available in a top load configuration for horizontal and vertical cryostats and with a side-looking or J-type cryostat.
The main benefits of the ORTEC Möbius Recycler are as follows:
- Ability to attain LN2 performance without the need for frequent system refilling – thus saving money, time and reducing hazardous material handling
- A large 28 liter dewar enhances the duration for cooling during a power loss and helps extend the time between system refills
- During a loss of input power, the Möbius will continue cooling the radiation detector as if it were a standard dewar
- LN2 level monitor can be remotely mounted and indicates LN2 fill level, pressure levels, and power consumption allowing for proactive maintenance scheduling
- Integrates effortlessly underneath standard lead shields with same footprint as standard dewar
- Diagnostics and health parameters can be accessed by Windows PC
- Smart controller decrease UPS strain while allowing continued operation during a power outage
- Exceptional service and support built upon ORTEC’s unique, completely vertical factory integration for quality and design of manufacturing
- Swap detectors as needed with any dipstick style Möbius or PopTop compatible Möbius-B.
- Flexibility with a variety of cryostat and detector orientation including vertical options as well as side mounted configurations.
||After the detector is cool and the LN2 is topped off, the Möbius system can run for 2 years or longer without filling. This is based on the sealing technology and assumes that it is operating in uninterrupted, steady state conditions.
||Easily removable, washable, air inlet filter. No other maintenance is required.
||The remote display attaches to the system with an umbilical cord and can be remotely mounted to improve visibility when the detector is placed in a lead shield.
The display indicates LN2 fill height level, power consumption, pressure and overall status information. The user is warned when the dewar level drops below 70% full.
||The control electronics and power supply are electrically isolated from the dewar, as is the cooler, and protected from LN2 spillage.
||A capacitance level sensor provides a continuous measurement of the LN2 level from 0–100% full.
|Use with UPS Systems
||The Möbius Recycler contains a small onboard computer which can receive an input in the event of power loss. The input causes the system to enter power saving mode and turn off the cryocooler. With the cryocooler turned off, the onboard computer and diagnostic electronics may be powered by a small UPS.
|LN2 Holding Time (in case of power loss)
||Approximately 7–10 days for a typical detector in a Streamline cryostat if Möbius is full.
Approximately 4–7 days for a typical detector in a PopTop cryostat if Möbius is full.
|LN2 Loss Rate
||Approximately 3 liters per day when cooler is off. Operates as a standard dewar when power loss occurs.
||When purchasing a new ORTEC detector with a Möbius, resolution is based on the detector data sheet. Above 15 keV, no degradation of the detector warranted resolution. Below 15 keV, less than 10% of the warranted resolution.
For existing ORTEC detector systems: when replacing an existing dewar or X-COOLER with a Möbius, resolution degradation is based on the existing detector performance. It is expected that the detector will have similar performance compared to using a standard liquid nitrogen dewar. Some degradation may occur, depending on age and configuration of the detector.
||28 Liters, excluding detector dipstick volume.
||AMETEK SUNPOWER with passive vibration dampening.
||Less than 60 dB (A) at 1 meter fully operational, below 30 °C ambient.
||100–240 V AC auto ranging from 120 to 240 V, 50 to 60 Hz.
|Normal Power Consumption
||125 W typical, 350 W maximum.
||See drawings in detector configuration guide.
|Weight (excluding cryostat and detector)
||63 lb (28.58 kg) empty. 113 lb (51.26 kg) full.
||0 to 40 °C. 20% to 90% relative humidity, non-condensing.
||2 years on Möbius unit only (excludes HPGe detector).