The Postnova PN3310 Viscometer detector is a modern intrinsic viscosity detector for Field-Flow Fractionation (FFF) and Size Exclusion Chromatography (GPC/SEC). It is based on the established Wheatstone-Bridge design for measuring the essential viscosity of macromolecules in solution. The instrument has been designed in the modern and compact Postnova FFF detector design.
The Postnova PN3310 Viscometer detector displays an exceptional performance and is provided with highly sensitive pressure transducers. The special pressure sensor protection system (PSP) automatically prevents critical overpressure on the pressure transducers. The instrument exhibits exceptional baseline stability with very low drift and superior signal-to-noise ratio.
Up to four analog signals from external detectors (e.g. RI, Fluorescence, UV) can be connected to the PN3310 Viscometer detector. The instrument is completely controlled by the powerful and user-friendly NovaMALS software capable of integrating additional detectors such as Multi-Angle Light Scattering (MALS), UV Absorbance and Refractive Index (RI).
A modular, compact and flexible “Triple Detection System” can be set up together with the Postnova PN3150 RI detector and the Postnova PN3621 MALS detector. A “Quadruple Detection System” can also be configured with a Postnova PN3211/12 Dual Wavelength UV or a PN3241 Diode Array UV as a second concentration detector.
Using the Postnova PN3310 Viscometer detector along with a light scattering detector (MALS) and a concentration detector (RI, UV) the molecular size (hydrodynamic, gyration) and the molecular structure (branching, shape) of macromolecules can be determined. Both with and without the inclusion of a Light Scattering detector to the PN3310 Viscometer, the Mark-Houwink plot (molecular weight vs. intrinsic viscosity) can be obtained using the NovaMALS software. The Mark-Houwink plot is considered to be the most powerful structure plot in macromolecular analysis containing a huge amount of information about the size, shape, molecular weight and structure of macromolecules in solution.
PN3310 Viscometer Principle
PN3310 Viscometer Principle sample
- Maximum Flow Rate: 1 – 3 mL/min (solvent dependent - water max. 1.5 mL/min; THF max. 3 mL/min)
- Environmental Conditions: 20 – 80% relative humidity (noncondensing) at an ambient temperature range of 0 – 40 °C
- Hold-up Volumes: 13 mL, 9 mL, 5 mL (user-selectable)
- Bridge Arm Volume: 30 µL
- Bridge Temperature Stability: < 0.01 °C at 35 °C bridge temp.
- Bridge Operating Temperature: Ambient +4 – 60 °C
- Measurement Accuracy: +/- 0.25 % of full scale
- Measurement Range: Bridge pressure: 240 kPa (35 psi) Differential pressure: 5.1 kPa (0.74 psi)
- Max. Allowed Bridge Pressure: 400 kPa (58 psi)
- Max. Differential Pressure Noise (*): < 0.175 Pa (2.53 x 10-5 psi)
- Max. Allowed Differential Pressure: 10 kPa (1.45 psi)
- Max. Differential Pressure Drift (*): < 1.8 Pa/h (2.61 x 10-4 psi)
- Max. Absolute Pressure Load: 500 kPa (72.5 psi)
- Wetted Materials: Stainless steel, Inconel®, FFKM, PVDF
- Transducer Protection: Pressure Sensor Protection (PSP)
- Alarms: Vapor alarm for organic solvents, optical leakage alarm
- Weight: 10 kg
- Power Requirements: 100 – 240 VAC @ 50 – 60 Hz, max. 100 W
- Dimensions (D x W x H): 460 x 260 x 160 mm
(*) measured with H2O; Flow rate: 1.0 mL/min