Fearsome performance with a cute name. The Hedgehog Mid-IR Laser, perfect for OEM or laboratory use, is DRS Daylight’s tunable next-generation laser head. The Hedgehog laser, which is created on the External Cavity Quantum Cascade Laser™ technology, is a unique combination of small size, tuning speeds to > 5000 cm-1/s, high power, TEM00 beam quality, CW or pulsed output, and unmatched spectral repeatability.
Rapid, high-SNR data acquisition is benefited greatly by molecular spectroscopy applications. Broad mid-IR tuning also benefits probing multiple molecules, or probing an absorption feature with high dynamic range. These benefits are provided by the Hedgehog system, with wide-ranging, rapid tuning throughout the mid-IR spectrum, high spectral and spatial beam quality, and low-noise output.
The alignment-free, sealed design, along with included-as-standard GUI and SDK allow easy access to this performance. Three standard Hedgehog models are available to choose from: Hedgehog (tunes up to 200 cm-1), Hedgehog-UT (tunes up to 400 cm-1), and lastly, Hedgehog-LT (tunes up to 30 cm-1).
Features and Benefits
- Wavelength availability: 3-13 µm
- Tune up to 400 cm-1 at speeds of up to 5000 cm-1/s
- CW* or pulsed output (up to 3 MHz/30% duty)*
- Ultra-quiet CW: RIN as low as -140 dBc/Hz enables higher-SNR spectroscopy
- Superior wavelength repeatability for higher-accuracy spectroscopy
- Superb TEM00 beam quality and low beam pointing allows fiber coupling
- High output power for high SNR* of > 1 W (peak) and > 0.5 W (average)
- SideKick™ controller, GUI, and SDK standard with all systems
- Proprietary HFQD™ circuitry protects your chips
*Requires suitable chip(s).
- Standoff detection
- Process control
- Atmospheric research
- Nanoscale imaging and spectroscopy
- TIC, VOC, GHG chemical and biological agent detection
- Combustion diagnostics
- Biomedical diagnostics
- Protein analysis
- Photoacoustic spectroscopy