The Praying Mantis™ is considered as the forerunner in the field as it was the first commonly available diffuse reflection (DRIFTS) attachment.
This diffuse collection instrument provides a high level of efficiency when it reduces the detection of the specular part.
Pivoting of the ellipsoids enables easy access to the sampling area and can be combined to 6:1, 90° off-axis ellipsoids which forms a highly effective diffuse reflection collection and illumination system.
This innovative configuration assists in deflecting the specular reflectance away from the collecting ellipsoid, thereby reducing the related spectral distortions. It is also possible to configure the Praying Mantis™ to analyse materials and reactions in controlled environments with a suitable diffuse reflectance reaction chamber.
The Praying Mantis system consists of a cart with two mounted alignment mirrors, 10mm diameter diffuse reflectance sampling cup (0.25ml volume), 3mm diameter adjustable microsampling cup (0.03ml volume) with funnel, mating hardware for the specified FTIR or UV-VIS spectrometer.
The main features of the Praying Mantis™ include:
- Allows easy attachment of reaction chambers
- Many models are provided for compatibility with a wide range of FTIR and UV-VIS spectrometers
- Harrick's exclusive PermaPerge™ allows quick exchange with minimum interruption of the system purge
- Optional references for FTIR and UV-VIS studies.
The Praying Mantis™ can be used in many applications including:
- Easy and dependable diffuse reflection testing of powders and solids by FT-IR and UV-VIS spectroscopy
- Testing of catalysts and other powders in a temperature and/or pressure controlled environment.