The CrystalSCAN is a bench-top, automated, parallel crystallization monitoring platform, facilitating determination of solubility curves and the MSZW (metastable zone width) of multiple samples, and optimization of the desired crystallization process. The standard system supports 8, independently controlled reactors, each equipped with H.E.L’s proprietary crystallization monitoring probe, CrystalEYES.
In addition to automated stirring, heating, and cooling of each sample, the CrystalSCAN can automatically add solvent/anti-solvent of choice, diluting each sample independently at the end of each cycle. Consequently, data on the points of dissolution and the points of nucleation can be determined automatically under a range of experimental conditions, enabling solubility curves to be generated and the characterization of MSZW, respectively. While the former provides the basis for optimizing the desired crystallization process, the latter provides insights into the behavior of the process on larger scales, informing and facilitating process development.
This combination of high throughput, coupled with high data content, accelerates the development and optimization of the desired crystallization process and shortens time to commercialization.
Features and Options
Vessel Types and Volumes / Test Cells
- Fully stirred reaction vessels available between 1 ml - 500 ml volume.
- The multi-reactor platforms have volumes of 1ml to 30 ml and can accommodate an array of reactors, such as HPLC vials, reaction tubes, test tubes, customized reactor vessels, and high pressure vessels.
- Ambient to 250 ⁰C (without external cooling).
- Options to increase the range down to -40 ⁰C (circulator dependent).
- A separate mantle around each reactor allows the temperature to be controlled individually with a range/difference of over 100 °C between the reactors.
- Automated dilution and solvent addition.
- Independent sample control. Eight reactors with separate stirring and temperature-controlled zones.
- The CrystalEYES systems use turbidity sensors to enable precise detection of recrystallization and solubility points.
- Independent stirring, measured and controlled.
- Magnetic stirring, with automatic de-coupling detection.
- Suspended mechanical stirring allows efficient stirring.
- Overhead stirring option.
- Stirrer geometry specifically designed to minimize damage to crystals.
Intelligent Software Control and Analysis
- labCONSOL software control enables regular data logging, multi-step recipes, parameter control, and feedback loops. The software adds a responsive intelligence to the CrystalSCAN system and still delivers an intuitive interface that needs only minimal training to run quickly.
- Include automatic user-configurable reaction detection and shutdown procedures, to ensure user safety.
- Automatic hardware and software fail-safes are installed on every system.