Metrohm’s 892 Professional Rancimat instrument uses the established Rancimat method to determine the oxidation stability of natural fats and oils, in their pure form as well as in fat-containing cosmetics and foods.
The Rancimat expedites the sample’s aging process by subjecting it to heat and elevated air volumes and measuring the time that passes until oxidation occurs at a high rate. This is called the induction time or oxidation stability index (OSI).
In the Rancimat method, the air flow transfers volatile oxidation products from the sample vessel to a vessel filled with distilled water. The conductivity of this water is constantly measured.
As soon as the oxidation products emerge, conductivity increases in this vessel. A strong and rapid increase in conductivity represents the induction time. This established method conforms to both national and international standards.
The easy-to-use StabNet software allows operation, assessment, and data management, thus making analyses safe and easy with the Rancimat. The control hub for the 892 Professional Rancimat, manages all instrument functions through a single PC. In addition to this, StabNet assesses results and archives all determinations in its own database, among other functions.
The 892 Professional Rancimat also utilizes cost-effective disposable reaction vessels, which prevent the time-consuming cleaning process following each measurement. Besides reducing costs and time, the reproducibility of results is enhanced since the single-use vessels eliminate carryover effects.
Eight measuring positions are included in the Rancimat, with four in each one of its two independent heating blocks. Since these measuring positions are independent, it is possible to apply different temperatures on the heating blocks simultaneously.
Each measurement can be initiated separately and directly on the instrument after the sample has been placed in position. A single computer controls all stability measurements. For larger sample loads, four Rancimats can be connected to a single computer. This allows up to 32 samples to be analyzed at a time.
The main features of the 892 Professional Rancimat are as follows:
- Established tool for determining oxidation stability
- Simultaneous analysis of up to eight samples
- User-friendly StabNet software for instrument control, evaluation of results, and data management
- Clean and low-cost disposable reaction vessels save time
- Each sample position can be started separately and directly on the instrument
- Determination according to national and international standards
- StabNet software allows data acquisition, evaluation, and archiving functions
- Controls all stability measurements through a single PC
- Complies with AOCS Cd 12b-92 and ISO 6886 standards
The 892 Professional Rancimat is used in the following applications:
- To determine the oxidation stability of vegetable and animal oils and fats
- To examine the effectiveness of antioxidants
- To measure the oxidation stability of oil- and fat-containing foods like nuts, cookies, and instant noodles