Testometric has launched a twin column, floor standing, heavy duty, floor-standing Universal Testing Machine called XFS500 that is integrated with a precision AC servo drive system and complete computer control. The Universal Testing Machine has a high rigidity load frame equipped with an accurate crosshead guidance system for even the most challenging test applications of up to 500 kN.
Table 1. Source: Testometric Company Ltd
|Force Capacity kN
||Better than +/- 0.5% of reading down
to 1/1000th of load cell capacity
|Crosshead travel mm*
|Vertical space mm*
|Position Control Resolution mm
|Distance between columns mm*
|Minimum Speed mm/min
|Maximum Speed mm/min
||+/- 0.1% under stable conditions
|Max force at full speed kN
|Max speed at full load mm/min
|Data Acquisition Rate (at PC)
||500 Hz as standard (optional 1000 Hz)
||Ethernet (or USB via adaptor)
||Twin column, floor standing with diagonally
opposed ball screws and guide rods
|Frame Stiffness kN/mm
|Operating Temperature °C
||0 to +55
||90% relative humidity or less
||3 Phase 380/400 V
*Extended travel and wide-frame versions available on demand.
Made to Measure
The Universal Testing Machine is a completely digital testing system that offers high precision control and accuracy. It allows automated computer control of test techniques to offer ease of use.
- High resolution load cells with precisions better than +/−0.5% down to 1/1000th of the capacity of load cells
- Extensometers and load cells are automatically detected and calibration parameters can be stored in the device
- Has an 800% overload capability of load cells without any damage
- Software calibration check facility allows direct verification of machine precision
- Crosshead guidance system offers a smooth operation and enables accurate alignment
- Pre-loaded, high efficiency, self-cleaning ballscrews facilitate rapid and quiet testing; equipped with lubricated end bearings that are sealed for life
- High-speed data collection systems offer up to four synchronous channels
- Brushless servo motor and digital AC servo drive enable precision crosshead control, giving 23-bit positional control and a maintenance-free operation
- Six I/O channels are included for extra devices, like calipers, micrometers, balances, extensometers, etc.
- Integral load cell cable routing included in the machine column prevents snagging and also avoids damage to cables
- Overtravel, overload and impact protection
- High stiffness loading frames with precision-ground 50-mm diameter steel guide rods as well as rigid extruded support columns fitted with T-slots are available for mounting accessories
- Small footprint design ensures the economy of floor space
- Telescopic covers provide more protection for ballscrews against dust and testing debris
- An extensive range of contacting and non-contacting extensometers, including laser and video models, is supplied
- A wide range of grips and fixtures is available for compression, tension, shear, peel, flexural, product testing, etc.
(1) Available at additional cost. Machine can alternatively be controlled using a standard PC or laptop (not supplied). (2) Machine shown with HG300 heavy duty hydraulic grips (available separately). Image Credit: Testometric Company Ltd
Image Credit: Testometric Company Ltd
Table 2. Source: Testometric Company Ltd
|Overall Width ‘A’ (excluding touchscreen)
|Overall Height ‘C’
|Distance between columns ‘D’
|Spigot Ø E
|Spigot Pin Ø F
Notes: All dimensions in millimeters. Dimensions are based on standard models, and extended/wide frame versions are available on demand.
Large range of grips and fixtures available. Image Credit: Testometric Company Ltd
High speed modular electronics. Image Credit: Testometric Company Ltd
Comprehensive range of extensometry. Image Credit: Testometric Company Ltd
Built for Precision
Complies with ASTM E-4, DIN 51221, and AFNOR A03-501 standards; better than Grade 0.5 EN 7500-1specifications; automatically identifies load cells; is universally calibrated; offers a minimum range of 0.4% to 100%; protects electronic load cells; provides a resolution of 1 part in 500,000.
Provides a full frame length to the highest resolution of 0.000001 mm (selectable), offers an accuracy of +/−0.01 mm, and includes relative, absolute and auxiliary modes in percent, mm and inch.
Offers best-in-class low speed performance with speeds down to 0.00001 mm/minute and protects against drive system current and temperature.
This is a rigid frame, using a rigid push-out support column and precision ground steel direct rods. Frame stiffness is up to 2000 kN/mm along with a built-in K factor facility. Other features include re-circulating ballscrew with bellows, total travel trips, electronic limit trips and safety stops that can be programmed by customers.
Modular electronics system enables rapid data transfer to the computer (up to 1000 Hz) through a high-speed Ethernet connection. Wide input options help connect a broad range of extensometers and accessories through easy plug-in interface modules.
Elaborate safety features assure maximum levels of operator safety, such as programmable extension limits, E-Stop, and detection of overload or impact. Fully complies with global safety directives, such as 2006/42/EU Machinery Directive, 2014/30/EU Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive and 2014/35/EU Low Voltage Directive.
Optional Touchscreen Panel PC
When the machine is combined with the optional IPC3 industrial-grade Panel PC with touchscreen control, it turns into a powerful, standalone system and prevents the requirement for a laptop or external PC.
The system uses the newest Windows 10 operating system and runs a complete version of Testometric’s winTest software package, and thus enables full control of the test machine and allows storage and access to unrestricted test methods and outcomes.
The built-in mounting arm that is fixed to the machine column T-Slots can be fully modified for reach, height and viewing angle, enabling users to identify the most ergonomic working position.
Image Credit: Testometric Company Ltd
- 4 GB, 1600 MHz SODIMM DDR3 204-pin
- Display 15.6″ 1366 x 768-panel resistive touch screen with dirt repellent, anti-reflective screen protection
- QM87 Chipset, 4 x USB3.0 and 3 x COM ports [RS232], 2 x GigaLAN
- CPU-i5-4300M Intel Core i5 Processor, 2.6 GHz
- 2.5″ 250 GB, Solid State Disk (SSD) and SATA III 6 GB/second
Tried and Tested Software
All Testometric models come with the complete winTest Analysis software package.
The winTest Analysis software is a product of several years of constant development, providing an intuitive and flexible software package to suit all kinds of material testing. Built-in test methods cover peel, shear, tensile, compression, cyclic, flexural, tear, creep, and multi-stage tests.
The software includes an extensive range of industry-standard test techniques and the capacity to generate and store an infinite number of additional test techniques. All test data are automatically stored and can be easily exported to other software packages, like Excel, Word, Access and SPC systems for improved generation of reports.
By adding the RCE remote connection option, all machines can be directly web-linked to Testometric for remote analysis, tracking and software upgrades.
Real-time test screen. Image Credit: Testometric Company Ltd
Test analysis screen. Image Credit: Testometric Company Ltd