The FMT-W40 available from Alluris, Mecmesin’s sister company, is a motorized wire-terminal pull tester that comes in two models—one with a tensile strength capacity of up to 500 N (110 lbf) and the other one with up to 1000 N (220 lbf).
The FMT-W40 pull tester is robust, small-sized and occupies very less space on the benchtop. It has been designed particularly to ensure simple use even with very less training. It is a perfect solution to test the pull strength of crimped wire terminals exactly at the production point.
The FMT-W40 pull tester features a motor drive that allows wire terminals to be pull tested at a stable pull speed, thus ensuring greater testing repeatability. The FMT-W40 incorporates seven different test speeds as needed by the corresponding testing standards.
Three user-selectable test modes enable both non-destructive and destructive testing: pull and hold; pull and break; pull, hold and then break.
The FMT-W40 pull tester is appropriate for testing tensile pull strength of wire connectors and terminals in compliance with BS, DIN, EN, IEC, MIL, NASA, SAE and UL standards.
The FMT-W40 motorized wire-terminal pull-tester has been engineered for crimped wire terminal testing in compliance with ASTM B913, EN 2591-417, IPC/WHMA-A-620, MIL-STD 202-H, NASA 8739-4, USCAR 21, UL 486 and various other relevant standards.
Ensuring the most ideal accuracy and repeatability requires preventing jerking or sudden application of force during pull-testing of wired connectors. Hence, test standards note that it is necessary to ensure a 'constant rate of pull' and a majority of them define a predetermined speed at which tests must be carried out.
The only practical means to realize repeatability in such pull force tests is to use a motorized pull tester. The FMT-W40 is user-friendly and avoids operator inconsistencies, thereby making it perfect for type-approval testing.
The FMT-W40 pull tester features seven user-selectable speed options ranging from 10 to 200 mm/minute, thus covering all general pull-rates mentioned in the test standards.
Another advantage to reproducibility is offered by three selectable modes for non-destructive and destructive tests:
- pull and hold (non-destructive)
- pull and break (destructive)
- pull, hold and break (destructive)
The crimp receptacle fixture features 12 slots with a width varying from 0.5 to 6 mm, which cover AWG 8-30 for simple and fast loading of the terminal. A quick-action lever securely clamps the cable in a cam before the automatic test is started at the push of a button.
The digital display takes the peak load at 1000 Hz and explicitly denotes the pull strength result of the test in kilo-force, newtons, or pounds-force. A test report can be generated by storing and transmitting data to optional software.
The robust design includes a scratch-resistant base-plate made of nitride-hardened steel and equipped with non-slip feet. This compact and portable benchtop instrument is perfect for reliable and efficient quality control testing of crimped wire terminals exactly at the production point.
Capacity (Full-Scale) and Resolution
Source: Mecmesin Ltd
||500 x 0.5
||1000 x 1
||110 x 0.1
||220 x 0.2
||50 x 0.05
||100 x 0.1
- Acquisition rate: 1000 times/second
- Accuracy: ±0.5% of full-scale (f.s.)
- Display: LCD 5 digits, 14 mm tall
- Output: through USB 2.0 Interface
- Memory: 1000 readings with max, min, mean and standard deviation calculations
- Maximum operating force: 120% of f.s. (auto-reverses to release load if the limit is exceeded)
- Pull speed settings (mm/minute): 10, 25, 37.5, 50, 100, 150 and 200
- Dimensions (L x W x H): 320 mm x 160 mm x 115 mm
- Available with: Standard—Pull Tester equipped with Crimp Receptacle and Cable Cam fixtures, power supply, CD-ROM with software (trial version: no license) and USB interface cable. Optional—Operating instructions including CE declaration of conformity (printed), software license, Dakks (German) calibration certificate, carrying case (to be ordered separately on demand) and interchangeable adapter.