The accelerating rate calorimeter 244 (ARC® 244) is designed for safe and accurate measurement of the quantity and rate of heat release relating to the processing or storage of chemicals. The instrument was earlier named as TIAX ARC 3000.
The ARC® 244 technology is fundamental to designing intrinsically safer batteries and measuring energetic materials used in products, including propellants, explosives, and air bags.
Operating modes of the ARC® 244 are heat-wait-search test for thermal runaway reactions; iso-fixed/iso-track for assessing storage conditions/auto-catalytic reactions; and ramp mode for rapid screening of unfamiliar samples.
The main features of the ARC® 244 are as follows:
- High performance
- Safety, usability, and flexibility with data
- Robustness and integrity in a temperature range from ambient to 500°C
- Tube heater decreases heat losses due to reflux
- Windows XP™ operating system standard
- Smaller footprint
- Lift mechanism for calorimeter top
- Experimental wizards to enable easy setting-up of tests
- Better safety and interlock features
- Over-temperature protection
- Tube heater prevents refluxing and sample loss, which can result in significant underestimation of heat reaction and temperature and pressure rates
- Automated anneal, temperature calibration and drift tests without the need for operator intervention and with enhanced efficiency
- Power compensation module (optional)