The MB3600-CH80 Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) Packaging Analyzer from ABB is designed for rapid analysis of PET containers such as preforms, bottles, and jars.
The rugged industrial FT-NIR system can be used in QA/QC laboratories, research and development centers, and production lines of companies carrying out a variety of routine measurements of the key properties of PET containers.
The MB3600-CH80 is suitable for equipment suppliers involved in the supply of PET packaging equipment for thermoforming, extrusion, injection molding, and blowing; for companies that are involved in the production of PET containers and performs; and for food and beverage manufacturers who procure PET containers for packaging their products.
Various PET quality attributes, including intrinsic viscosity, wall thickness, moisture content, and crystallinity, can be accurately determined using the MB3600-CH80 within a few seconds.
This makes the analyzer an ideal option for slower laboratory techniques. The analyzer does not require any specific sample or instrument preparation. It provides completely non-destructive measurements.
This packaged solution has turnkey models for determining %crystallinity in PET containers. It has pre-loaded calibrations that are configured in the easy-to-use Horizon QA operator interface.
It allows users to perform PET container analysis right from the day one of installation. It is a versatile solution capable of determining a range of PET properties such as wall thickness, density, moisture content, acid value, hydroxyl value, and intrinsic viscosity in addition to crystallinity.
Key Features and Advantages
The following are the key features of the MB3600-CH80:
- Minimal footprint
- Provides rapid and precise analysis when compared to wet laboratory methods
- Reagents or solvents are not required
- Incorporates turnkey calibrations for %crystallinity in PET
- Allows for additional multi-property analysis, including moisture content, wall thickness, and intrinsic viscosity
- Sophisticated analytical performance
- Powerful yet convenient software interface
- 10 years of maintenance-free operation means low cost of ownership
- Calibrations can be transferred to other ABB laboratory analyzers
Optional sampling accessories are available:
- Powder sampler for analyzing solids such as pellets, powders, or pieces of opaque packaging
- Universal heatable vial holder for analyzing melted plastics or liquids in disposable scintillation vials
These accessories are placed in the MB3600-CH80’s sampling compartment and coupled to the analyzer through a USB port for automatic recognition and easy interchange. The PET component of interest needs to be placed in the sampling compartment of the analyzer and the analysis has to be carried out as per screen instructions.
Analysis with the MB3600-CH80 does not require any analytical expertise, chemical reagents and waste disposal.