ABB’s CoreSense™ is a tool for monitoring hydrogen levels in a cost effective, condition-based maintenance approach. Above all other gases, if hydrogen is present in transformer oil, it is a chief indicator of potential transformer problems, which can lead to interrupted operations and unexpected expenditures.
The CoreSense™ is designed to minimize these risks, and to ensure reliable transformer performance and improved maintenance planning.
The main features of the CoreSense™ are as follows:
Constant Online Monitoring
The CoreSense™ offers real-time, constant, online monitoring of hydrogen and moisture levels in transformer oil. Hydrogen readings offer an early alert for several transformer problems; while moisture monitoring helps to avoid premature aging of a unit.
Early detection of such initial flaws allows users to take preventative measures whenever required.
The CoreSense™ is simple to install and use. This is due to its unique thermal element that stimulates convection currents by heating the oil, it can be linked to new or current transformers (all types and brands), and at any location including the drain valve.
The CoreSense™ is designed for maintenance-free operation. This is due to heavy-duty, industrial grade design without any moveable parts and a sturdy all-metal enclosure
- Industrial grade enclosure: IP67/NEMA 4X rating can operate even in three feet of water
- The sensor is built with solid-state elements that do not drift over time and are not consumables
- The thermal element removes any moving parts, such as a mechanical pump which can be susceptible to failure
- ABB can offer Transformer Intelligence™ for a single transformer, or a whole fleet, via a centralized dashboard based on input from individual sensors. The data collected can be downloaded in .csv format for offline analysis
- Whether viewing the LED alarms on the device or at the smart web interface, the message will be brief and easy to read
- WARNING and ALARM settings can be configured by users for both hydrogen and moisture levels
Several Communication Protocols
- Equipped with a number of communication options to match varying requirements. From classical 4 - 20 mA analog and digital relay outputs to the newest fiber optic based Ethernet connectivity, the CoreSense™ has all the areas covered
- Can connect to load and oil temperature sensors when fitted with analog input
The CoreSense™ is a hydrogen specific sensor, unlike other products that monitor a collection of gases dissolved in oil. Hydrogen is the first indicator of many transformer faults and CoreSense™ has the ability to alert the transformer owner of any possible issues.
A laboratory Dissolved Gas Analysis (DGA) is required after any serious alert to assess the cause of the high gas levels in oil.