Malvern Panalytical has introduced the world’s most sophisticated light scattering system called Zetasizer Ultra. This latest system has been designed for measuring particle and molecular size, particle concentration, and particle charge and represents the most flexible and intelligent instrument available in the Zetasizer Advance series.
The flagship model of Malvern Panalytical provides all the advantages provided by ZS Xplorer software, with respect to ease of use, data confidence and analysis speed. It also has two exclusive measurement capabilities—particle concentration* and multi-angle dynamic light scattering (MADLS®)—to provide relatively more insights into the samples.
*Available only in Zetasizer Ultra Red Label
Video Credit: Malvern Panalytical
Features and Benefits
The Zetasizer Ultra includes non-invasive backscatter (NIBS), making it the most capable integrated ELS and DLS system in the world. Furthermore, it exclusively incorporates multi-angle dynamic light scattering (MADLS) technology meant for measuring particle and molecular size.
While NIBS offers the sensitivity and versatility needed to quantify across a broad concentration range, MADLS enables a higher resolution view into the size distribution of a sample for those crucial measurements.
The Zetasizer Ultra Red Label, integrated with the MADLS technology, allows users to directly investigate the concentration of particles. The measurement of the concentration of particles is well suited for a variety of materials, can be used quickly, and requires little to no dilution—all of which make it the perfect screening method.
This capability is unique in the Zetasizer Ultra system and can also be used on samples like viruses and virus-like particles (VLPs), which were extremely difficult to measure in the past.
The Zetasizer Ultra includes the following key features:
- Dynamic light scattering (DLS) quantifies particle and molecule size, measuring less than 1 nm to 10 µm
- MADLS technology provides complete confidence in the analysis of particle and molecular size distribution
- Non-invasive backscatter (NIBS) optics enables multipurpose, high-sensitivity measurements of particle and molecular size
- Electrophoretic light scattering (ELS) quantifies the zeta potential of molecules and particles, denoting sample stability and/or tendency to aggregate
- M3-PALS equipped with Constant Current Mode enables the measurement of electrophoretic mobility and zeta potential
- The capillary sizing cell is disposable and offers the ultimate in non-destructive, low-volume (as low as 3 µL) analysis, with an upper size range extending to 10 μm
- Easy, per-peak concentration/titer measurements (Zetasizer Ultra Red Label only)
- Deep Learning-empowered data quality system helps assess all kinds of data quality problems related to size, with clear advice on how to enhance outcomes
- Adaptive Correlation enables faster and more reproducible sizing measurements with minimal preparation of samples
- ZS Xplorer software suite facilitates flexible and easy method set-up and data analysis
- An array of reusable and disposable cells are provided to improve the measurement with respect to the concentration and volume of samples, such as the new, low-volume disposable sizing cell kit, which provides the dual advantages of size measurements in just 3 µL, and extension to the upper size range of DLS measurements, because of the suppression of convection currents
- An optical filter wheel with a fluorescence filter helps measure fluorescent samples without affecting the sensitivity of the overall system. Polarization filters are also included to facilitate DDLS measurements
- The MPT-3 Autotitrator is available as an option and helps analyze the effect of pH changes
The Zetasizer Ultra is used in the following applications:
The Zetasizer Ultra serves as a crucial analytical tool for several academic laboratories around the world and is used in all applications where molecular or particle size and zeta potential analysis are needed. The scope of applications provided by Zetasizer systems, together with an unlimited number of scientific citations, has earned these systems a core space in several scientific faculties.
Differences in molecule concentration, agitation level, external temperature, and time collectively affect the stability of biological molecules. Instabilities mostly lead to aggregation and denaturation of the molecule by which they can lose their biological activity, trigger an immune reaction and thus restrict its therapeutic viability.
Therefore, factors that influence therapeutic efficacy and immunogenicity should be tracked all through the development pipeline, particularly at early phases to reduce late-stage failures and de-risk the biological drug molecule.
The Zetasizer series offers high-quality, stability-indicating information for biological drug molecules in a short period. This allows users to apply this measurement throughout the development pipeline.
Food and Drink
The Zetasizer systems are used to study zeta potential and particle size to enhance the taste and appearance of foods, flavorings, and drinks, and improve emulsion and dispersion stability to prolong the shelf life of products and optimize the performance of products.
For designing novel nanomaterials, Zetasizer measurements of nanoparticle size distribution, stability, dispersion properties, and tendency to aggregate are very important. These materials have a very large surface area that may lead to new chemical and physical properties, like enhanced solubility, better catalytic activity, or unanticipated toxicological or optical behavior.
Paints, Inks, and Coatings
The formulations of paints, inks, and coatings should be stable to maintain these products in an optimum state over time without any sign of aggregation or change.
Both particle size and zeta potential, quantified by the Zetasizer systems, play significant roles in establishing the properties of a specific product. These properties include strength, color, shelf life, dispersibility, durability, and finish.
The accurate particle size and zeta potential can help guarantee the production of effective therapeutics, delivered in a safe manner. The Zetasizer instruments are also used to define the quality and stability of dispersions, creams and emulsions, thereby minimizing formulation time and expediting novel products to market.