Malvern Panalytical’s new Zetasizer Ultra is the most sophisticated system for the quantification of the size of particles and molecules, particle concentration, and particle charge. The Zetasizer Ultra is the smartest and most flexible instrument in the Zetasizer Advance series.
The Zetasizer Ultra is Malvern Panalytical’s flagship model that comes with all the advantages offered by ZS Xplorer software, such as analysis speed, ease of use, and data confidence. It also provides two exclusive measurement capabilities: Multi-Angle Dynamic Light Scattering (MADLS®) and particle concentration*, to help users to gain a more in-depth understanding of their samples.
*Zetasizer Ultra Red Label only
Advance with Confidence: Malvern Panalytical’s new Zetasizer Pro and Zetasizer Ultra
Video Credit: Malvern Panalytical
Features and Benefits
Being the world’s most competent combined Electrophoretic Light Scattering (ELS) and Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS) system, the Zetasizer Ultra includes Non-Invasive Back Scatter (NIBS) and, exclusively, MADLS® technology to quantify the size of molecules and particles.
NIBS offers the sensitivity and versatility to perform measurements over a wide range of concentrations, and MADLS® offers a higher resolution view into the size distribution of a user’s sample for performing critical measurements.
On the Zetasizer Ultra Red Label, an extension to MADLS® enables the potential to directly analyze particle concentration. Particle concentration measurement is appropriate for an extensive array of materials, necessitates little or no dilution, and can be used quickly—all these features make it perfect as a screening technique.
This exclusive ability of the Zetasizer Ultra can even be used for samples such as viruses and virus-like particles (VLPs), which were highly challenging to measure earlier.
The Zetasizer Ultra includes the following key features:
- MADLS® ensures absolute confidence in the analysis of molecular and particle size distribution
- ELS helps quantify the zeta potential of molecules and particles, which is a measure of the stability of the sample and/or its propensity to aggregate
- DLS helps quantify the size of particles and molecules, from less than 1 nm to 10 µm
- M3-PALS including Constant Current Mode for measuring zeta potential and electrophoretic mobility
- NIBS optics ensure high-sensitivity and versatile measurements of particle and molecular size
- Simple, per-peak concentration/titer measurements (Red Label only)
- ZS Xplorer software suite enables flexible and simple method configuration and data analysis
- Disposable capillary sizing cell enables maximum non-destructive, low-volume (down to 3 µL) analysis, with an upper size range of up to 10 μm
- Fluorescence filter-integrated optical filter wheel enables fluorescent samples measurement without affecting the sensitivity of the overall system. In addition, polarization filters are provided for DDLS measurements.
- Adaptive Correlation ensures more reproducible, faster sizing measurements with less sample preparation
- The effect of changes in pH can be analyzed by using the optional MPT-3 Autotitrator
- The data quality system is empowered by Deep Learning for evaluating any size data quality issues, with clear guidance on ways to optimize results
- An array of reusable and disposable cells is provided to enhance the measurement with respect to the concentration and volume of samples. The array includes the new low-volume disposable sizing cell kit that offers dual benefits—size measurements in samples as little as 3 µL, and extension to the upper size range of DLS measurements, since convection currents are effectively suppressed.
The Zetasizer Ultra is used in several applications, such as the following:
The Zetasizer Ultra is a vital analytical tool for several academic laboratories across the globe, and can be used in applications where the analysis of particle or molecular size and zeta potential is essential. Thanks to the scope of applications covered by the Zetasizer systems, together with tens of thousands of scientific citations, these instruments have gained a central position in various scientific faculties.
The stability of biological molecules is influenced by variations in the concentration of molecules, level of agitation, external temperature, and time. Instabilities mainly lead to aggregation and denaturation of the molecule, which causes loss of its biological function, triggers an immune response, and thus restricts its therapeutic viability.
Therefore, it is crucial to monitor the factors that influence the therapeutic efficacy and immunogenicity throughout the development pipeline, specifically at early stages to prevent the risk posed by the biological drug molecule and to restrict late-stage failures.
The Zetasizer series of instruments offers high stability and quality while providing data for biological drug molecules within a short time frame. This allows the measurement to be performed through the entire development pipeline.
Food and Drink
Zetasizer systems are used for the analysis of particle size and zeta potential to optimize the taste and appearance of foods, drinks, and flavorings, as well as to enhance dispersion and emulsion stability to increase the shelf life and performance of products.
Measurements of nanoparticle size distribution, stability, dispersion properties, and tendency to aggregate performed by using the Zetasizer play a vital role in the development of novel nanomaterials. The very large surface area of such materials could lead to novel physical and chemical properties, for example, improved solubility, increased catalytic activity, or surprising toxicological or optical properties.
Paints, Inks, and Coatings
It is crucial for paint, ink, and coating formulations to be stable to maintain them in an optimum state as time passes, without any aggregation or change. Zetasizer measurement of particle size and zeta potential is crucial to determine various properties of a product, for example, strength, color, durability, dispersibility, finish, and shelf life.
Precise measurements of the particle size and zeta potential can be useful for the production of effective therapeutics, which are safely delivered. Zetasizer systems are helpful in the characterization of the quality and stability of creams, emulsions, and dispersions, thus decreasing formulation time and accelerating the launch of new products in the market.
Zetasizer Ultra: Combining NIBS and DLS to Measure Particle and Molecular Size