Founded more than 25 years ago, we are the pioneer in portable x-ray fluorescence (XRF). With more than 35,000 instruments installed worldwide, we maintain offices in Munich, Germany, and Hong Kong, in addition to our headquarters outside Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
A culture of innovation and a distinguished history of breakthrough achievements have defined our Thermo Scientific portable XRF analyzers since we introduced the first handheld XRF instrument in 1994. Many “firsts” have followed, including the:
- First use of miniaturized x-ray tubes in one-piece handheld analyzers
- First and only isotope-based handheld analyzer that never requires source replacement
- First handheld analyzer equipped with an He purge for direct analysis of Mg, Al, Si, P, and S in metal alloys
- First handheld small-spot XRF analyzer
- First handheld analyzer to feature a 50kV x-ray tube
- First geometrically optimized large area drift detector
The company has been awarded numerous patents and has received many honors and awards, including an unprecedented three R&D 100 Awards…in 1995 for the Thermo Scientific Niton XL-300, in 2003 for the Niton® XLi and XLt Series, and, most recently, in 2008 for the Niton XL3t Series.
- Handheld and mobile Thermo Scientific portable XRF analyzers, from our value-leading Niton XL2 instrument to our Niton FXL field x-ray lab, are engineered for accurate and reliable on-site elemental analysis and ease of use. These nondestructive analyzers are used for a variety of applications, including:
- Identification and analysis of metal alloys, including precious metal & jewelry analysis
- Mining and exploration
- Testing for lead, cadmium, and other hazardous substances in toys, jewelry, apparel, and other consumer goods
- Compliance testing for RoHS, WEEE, and ELV regulations
- Environmental analysis – site assessment, monitoring, and clearance testing
- Lead-paint inspection
We are committed to making the highest performance, easiest to use, most economical portable XRF analyzer in the world…giving you the tools that help you work more productively than ever before…and enabling you to make the world healthier, cleaner, and safer.